1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-300 warm sound

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Barend, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi people,
    Have been listening to cds yesterday and was surprised by the stereo analog sound of my new baby being so engulfingly "warm" (there, I said it) nevertheless with tingling highs...
    Hooked up my generator and scope, plus an 8 ohms dummy load and I found there was no roll off anywhere, straight line curve...
    But damn I will find out why the sound is as it is!
    Barend

2. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this "warm" sound a good thing in your book ?

Just my personal opinion but playing CD's on the DV-79 and AVR 300 in bi-amp mode via analogue in direct mode through a pair of Ruark Prologue ones - just sound to damn lovelly and transparant compaired to my old Pioneer 656 and Denon AVR 3300.

Im in seventh heaven :) only problem i do have is turning off the music to watch a movie :)

Spike

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes I love it but I wanna know how...

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV79 playing CD thru a Linn Kairn/Klout/Isobariks and it sounds pretty good. I also use just the 2 channels for DVD movie sound and the sound is also very good.

Warm/cold sound is not just a matter of response in the frequency domain: there are other factors at work which are, it seems, not easily measured, or at least not commonly used in reviews.

5. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Absolutely -- when I A-B listened recently to my Linn Majik and a Rotel 1056, the former sounded quite warm but real -- with presenece as if the artists were in the room with me. The Rotel sounded more analytical, colder, more like a piece of hi-fi in fact. I know which sound I prefer...

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought this kind of sound would be coupled with flaws somewhere (I expected a loss of treble and a slightly boomy as- I had an Alpha amp that exhibited these phenomena) but I haven't found them yet!
    Barend

7. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to call this sound "rich" rather than "warm", as the latter description might be mistaken for soft and woolly, like an old radiogram ;o) Conversely, a cold, clinical sound tends to be "thin", giving the subjective effect of lacking involvement and emotion.

It's a common misunderstanding that thin, bright sound is more detailed; true detail is a rich, involving sound. The word "musicality" has fallen out of fashion, but it still applies.