1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avr 300 Stereo Sound Improvement

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ttree sound, Dec 24, 2004.

1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What sort of stereo sound improvement whilst listening to cd music am I likeley to get if I add a P80/P90 to my AVR 300?

2. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presupposing that you are using the AVR300 in 5.1 mode and bi-amping the front mains already, TBH in my opinion not a lot. if you are using 7.1 ATM and therefore are not bi-amping, then depending on your speakers you will see little difference up to a dramatic difference.

I have the same amp as you (I was using it in bi-amped mode) and went to my dealer thinking that an A90 + P90 combo may be the way to go - I was dissapointed with the difference and didn't think it worth the expenditure.

Since then I have regigged everything and now have the kit in my sig. It was not an inexpensive upgrade but it has totally transformed stereo playback.

It is horses for courses and we each have our financial and domestic priorities the P90 may well suit you if for no other reason that it integrates with the AVR300 perfectly (so I am told) but it was not for me....

3. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Icarus,

I am using the amp in 5.1 mode but have not bi wired the speakers using the remaining 2 free channels. Is it worth bi wiring the speakers? I am pretty happy with the sound at the moment, I'm just pondering on the thought of improving the sound with minimal cost, I just thought that the p90 route would do this but from your experience - maybe not. The stereo pair are - PMC FB1+

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I added 3 Alpha amps (10, 10P/3, 9P) to my AVR300, and am not using the amp section of the AVR. For both 2 channel analog music and multichannel digital audio I got a big improvement in sound quality and the volume I can play. I'm running Dynaudio speakers, so they love the extra power.

I would expect a P90 to provide similar or better results, since the P90 is supposed to be better than the older Alpha 10.

Best bet is to try it for yourself.

Dean

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are getting bi-wiring and bi amping all muxed ip.:) Some folk say they get an improvement when adding a second set of wires from the same speaker terminal on the amp but I am not one of them. As long as your speakers have four terminals per speaker then it is likely you will get an improvement by bi-amping and this you can do for the cost of a second set of speaker cable. This is one of the plus points of the AVR300 for many folk.

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I auditioned this setup at sevenoaks yesterday, with MA S8's and GR20's.

IMO, the P90 is a worthwhile addition. I tried various combinations, and felt that using the P90 for the mid/high and the AVR300 power amps for the bass end worked best. Definite increase in mid-range clarity/definition and transient response (the canon on the Telarc 1812).

7. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did you compare a bi-amped avr300 to the p90 added to the avr300. I bi-amped my avr300 yesterday and the results are astounding. Greater hf detail, clearer midrange and deeper,tighter base. What more do you need?

8. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, I tried that configuration. For me, the P90 gave better mid range detail - I felt that strings in particular had more definition and airiness, especially solo violin against a full orchestra, and also during quieter passages.

Also, the transients had a bit more "speed".

It's all very subjective in this area, of course; the words I use to describe what I heard may mean something different to each person who reads them!