1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300 software upgrade and dealer????

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by yves, May 4, 2005.

1. yves

yves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every body,

First I want to apologize for my english . I'm a new member to this forum.

Yesterday I went to an Arcam dealer in Canada in order to buy an AVR300.

The software was 2.79 or 2.76 (Don't remember). I told them that I want the latest version which is 3.16.

I was like an alien. They didn't seem to know anything about software upgrade and anyway it should be a minor upgrade and so on. I told them that the software was available on the Arcam site for dealers and so on.

So after a few hours they finally got the software. So they tried to run the installation and finally they lost everything. They can't even power the unit on. There is nothing in the display unit.

So they tried to run the installation on another machine and same result. Unfortunately I had to left the store with no machine. So I have the following questions. I'm sure I will not get many answers but anyway:

1. Is the machine dead or if they figure out how to install the software that every will be alright or that I should ask for a brand new machine?

2. Is it that difficult to upgrade this machine? If so, I will think twice before I buy it. (I gave them a certain amount of money but not the whole amount).

3. How come it is possible that a dealer can't upgrade an AVR300 or is not inform how to do it? (Is there an Arcam director here?)

4. If I want to do it myseft wher can I get the instructions and the software or we got to be a genius to do the installation?

Thanks

Yves

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It is not that difficult to do the update on an AVR300. I am sure others on this forum can back me up on this. However from the very old software that is in the unit you are describing the DSP software has to be updated as well. They have probably not done this, if this is not done in the right sequence you can end up with no working software in the unit. There is a method to recover the unit from the apparently dead state by using a hardware override but you have to open the unit up to do it. Our customer support department can let the dealer know how to do this.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    1. No the machine is not dead, it can be fixed as Andy has explained.

2. It is not difficult to apply the updates at all. Any dealer who really knows their products well should be able to do this without any problems and in the right order.

3. Full instructions are supplied with the actual update files and if you follow them to the letter there should be no problems. This is nothing to do with Arcam, this is the dealer's failure to keep himself up to date with what updates are available and the procedure to apply them.

4. I can arrange to supply the update files and instructions to you by e-mail. Should you choose to do this you do so entirely at your own risk and will be charged to fix it by your dealer or Arcam themselves of you make a mess of it.

4. yves

yves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer

:) Yes I'm interested to get the update files and the instructions for the upgrade. I'm curious to see how difficult or easy the process is.

Thank you very much

Yves

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I have sent you a copy of the instructions. If you feel you are up to the task then let me know and I'll send you the firmware files too.

Chris.

6. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of cables are necessary to perform the upgrades?
    I also see some people mention a CMOS upgrade of the PC. What is that all about?

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    You need a 'null' (this is very important as a standard cable won't work) serial cable to connect the PC to the serial port on the unit.

John

8. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Crustyloafer,

I have just checked my software version and found that it is only 2.74. I have been keeping my head in the sand until now (rather appropriate living in the Middle East!) since to have the dealer upgrade the software involves a flight to Dubai with the set - with the attendant risks of the airline damaging it in the hold.

I am reasonably IT literate so I believe I could do the upgrade myself - if I had the files. Will there be complications in upgrading over so many intermediate upgrade steps that have occurred since 2.74?

Would you be prepared to email me the files and instructions?

Now I'm off to check my DV79 ........!

9. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to upgrade the DSP sw 1st !!! and then the normal sw update. You also need a null-modem cable.

try pm crusty to get the SW

10. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi all,

I have just been sent the latest software updates for AVR300 and DV29 from my local friendly dealer (I have updated the AVR300 previously myself). However, I am having problems using the AVR300 V1.5 programmer tool. When clicking on the final "Start Programming button, it says "Connection failed, unable to connect (no response from device". I've tried no end of reboots on the laptop, turning the AVR300 on and off in various orders, but no joy. Anyone any advice.

Also, for the DV29, I have received the software updates, but no seperate DVD programming utility. Can Chris (Crusty), or anyone else send it to me, assuming there is such a thing? :lease:

Cheers

Andy

11. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Ah, looking at previous threads, just found that the DVD is updated but burning the files sent to me to a CD. Given I don't have this facility at home, I'll get back in touch with me dealer to get hold of the update CD from him.

12. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Oh well, I must really learn to be more patient! Tried again to get the AVR300 reprogrammed, and this time it worked :) Weird.

13. ssahota

ssahota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I am currently running 2.67 on my Arcam AVR300

I need 4 things.

1. AVR programming Utility software
    2. DSP software as I am running an old version
    3. Instructions
    4. The latest updates

Can someone help me out please???
    I don't trust my dealer to do the job.

I have a Null Modem Cable DB9 Female to DB9 Female cable.

14. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

The thing is, if your dealer is not computer literate, and mess it up, they have to replace it, free of charge. However, even if you get the info you need, and you mess it up, you have to pay for it to be fixed or replaced. I'm sure if you contact Arcam customer support and mention your dealer they may offer advice.

Either that or Crustyloager may still be able to help out. I'm sure he'll be on tomorrow and reply in kind.

Thanks

Andy

15. ssahota

ssahota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy

I have send Crustyloafer a private message, I am aware of the consequences but I would still like to do it myself.

16. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

I've done it three times myself now, so if I can do it, anyone can :D Hopefully Chris (Crusty) will be able to help you out, good luck :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

17. kmbum

kmbum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I lost all faith in the local dealer with regards to software updates. Were it not for the members on this site, I would not have done any of the updates for my unit which shipped with version 2.67. The dealer pretended not to know anything about updates. I would threaten to bring my unit in, then I would get the name of someone from the office of the US distributor, who either didn't exsist or never answered his phone. Another threat to bring the unit in and leave it resulted in a web address that was listed "for dealers only". I felt as if I were somehow trepassing. Every updated started the process over again. Sadly, my Avr300 sits in a box in my attic. It was replaced by an Outlaw 1070 receiver. The Outlaw has had 2 software updates since it was purchased in Oct 05. Both of those updates are posted on the Outlaw website. And, they shipped my unit with the cable necessary to do the updates. The Avr300 is a great unit, make no mistake about that. Local dealer support is non-exsistent.

18. ssahota

ssahota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy

I work in a telecommunications company and do software updates on switches all the time so I am comfortable around computers.

Here's the deal, I have asked my dealer to update my reciever but he didn't have the updates on hand and had to scramble to get them. So I asked him to send them to me and I just got them however without the programming utility program. I got update 3.16 and DSP software 1.12_1 and instructions.

So all I need now is AVR 300 Programmer Version 1.5. Do you or Crusty have this program?
    I am aware of updating the DSP software first before installing the software.
    Anything else I need to be aware of?

19. ssahota

ssahota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank goodness for the internet
    thank goodness for forums, a wealth of information and support!!!
    I use them all the time, I found the best Merc mechanic with them and got the best receiver because of them.

20. ssahota

ssahota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you guys know, with the thanks of CrustyLoafer I updated my DSP and version to 3.29. Fantastic!!!!:clap: :rotfl: :D

Question, how do I know when another update is available?

21. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Watch the sticky at the top of this forum.

22. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Not quite true. They will have to get it working again free of charge. Given that in most cases if you make a mess of it, reapplying the firmware again properly sorts it out anyway this is not really an issue. However if the end user makes a mess of it the dealer is perfectly entitled to charge for the time taken to get it sorted.

23. Silverstrand

Silverstrand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have the same problem as many others in this thread. My AWR250 is at 2.90/1.10 although its brand new. I left it in the dealers hand for upgrading but it failed with an error for him, so I am willing to take the risk and do it myself. If someone can help me getting the software and instructions I would be very grateful.

24. trophy160

trophy160
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too,

The dealer that I bought my AVr250 from has now closed down, so
    can I get some info on how to upgrade the firmware please ?

Paul;

25. forrestzoe

forrestzoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only ran into cable errors. I had purchased a null cable as presented by the sales person but the terminals weren't switched and therefore kept telling me it wouldn't communicate with reciever. Picked up another null cable and everything went great. I would recommend that people pay strict attention to down/up arrows with the RDS INFO as you push them in different directions for the DSP application (arrow down) and the SW Version (arrow up). Crusty couldn't have made this easier for us!!! Again thanks!

26. vyper340

vyper340
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you check the software version???

27. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have a look here.