1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300: S-Video/composite-to-HQ video converter

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ronsidhu, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ronsidhu

ronsidhu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a AVR300 (Software Upgrade 2.9). Acc. to the manual, if HQ Video is set to YUV in menu settings, incoming composite and S-video signals are converted to YUV. But, I am getting a very unstable flaky picture on TV when watching videos thru my component video. The S-VHS picture appears very stable and reasonably clear thru TV's S-Video input. The up-converted picture appears to have better quality than S-Video, but it is shaky with vertical black streaks across the screen . The picture is always deflecting and not stationary. The component video cables are very high quality (Monster - $300/- ) and only 1 meter in length. By the way, the DVD picture comes fine using the same component video cables. So, the problem is not with component video cable, but the S-Video-to-HQ video converter.

I have tried shutting down all other components except for AVR300 and VCR. I even tried using composite output of VCR and up-converting it to component video. The HQ Video out of AVR 300 (whether converted from VCR's composite / S-Video output) continues to give noise and shaky reception.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a case of a defective S-video-to-HQ video converter? This was a great marketing feature when the sales person was selling it to me, but does it really work?

Thanks
    Ron

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Sounds like a faulty unit. I have a composite feed from my Sky box going via my DVD recorder into the AVR300. This is then upconverted to component and output to a projector. The picture is perfectly fine, well considering it is a composite signal in the first place. There is no shakiness or streaks on my picture at all. I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from who will be able to sort out a repair/replacement.