1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300 playing up?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by karlstumke, Sep 2, 2005.

1. karlstumke

karlstumke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first posting and I am a bit of a audiophile pleb..so please excuse the ignorance. My AVR 300 (DVD 79) worked brilliantly except for the normal concerns as to how hot it run and the apparent low volume. Went away for 3 days and turned on the AVR and it seems to be playing up. Whilst playing CD's using DVD-A and Direct on....it plays through all 5 speakers (incl sub). I thought it should only be in stereo. When putting on DVD's and using DVD mode, it plays for approx. 2 minutes and then appears to be searching for the format. Sound goes off, crackling develops, garbled words and then it appears to move from DTS to Dolby 5.1. optic moves to analogue, then comes right and then the whole process starts again. I dont really know whether I have done something wrong but it appears that something has fried in the AVR...any advice would be appreciated.
    Kit I have is Arcam DV79 and AVR 300 using Atlas digital coax interconnect, Sony 510 recorder, Quad L series speakers (4X12L, centre and sub).

2. John P.

John P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Sounds very similar to what I described in this thread.

If it is, it's really a hard nut to crack. For instance - today my AVR300 started distorting and crackling almost as soon as I powered it on. After that, the things I had done previously to temporarily fix it did not work(turned it off then on again after a while, but it was crackling and distorting as soon as I turned it on this time).

So I thought to myself "Well - that's that. There's no more thinking about it; this unit goes back on Monday".

But - - for some inexplicable reason, it has now 'decided' to work flawlessly for the rest of the night. I'm so desperate for a solution that I'm starting to make up wild theories, like for instance that it's caused by humidity in the air, because I have an air de-humidifier standing here, and after having turned that thing on again, the receiver suddenly worked!

Maybe it's also caused by the lunar orbit, or something... :rolleyes:

It comes and goes, so I bet it must be hard to figure out for a repair guy too.

3. karlstumke

karlstumke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well just looking at al the threads in this forum it does appear to be a problem and as consumers dont believe that after paying good money we need to wake in the morning with the hope / anticipation that through some divine intervention our equipment is going to work. Mine is going back!!