1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300 Output Wattage

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ttree sound, Nov 23, 2004.

1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does anyone know what the correlation is between the db control of volume and the actual output in watts, e.g.60db setting corresponds to a 30 watt mean output, or is this too technical, just curious.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You cannot easily perform such a correlation, as the output voltage and hence power (Power = V2/R) at any given moment depends on the amplitude of the incoming signal as well as the gain (volume control setting) of the amplifier.

IIRC, in the digital domain, i.e. via SPDIF, you get full rated power (100 Watts into 8 ohms, i.e. 28.3V rms) from a fully recorded 0dB FS signal with a volume setting in the mid to high 80s. So since the volume steps are in dBs, the mid to high 60s would give a 1 Watt output from the peaks on a heavily recorded disc. Of course many CDs and DVDs do not use the full range of levels available so you will then need a higher volume control setting for a given power output. In the analogue domain it will depend also on where you set the gain trims, which are there because analogue levels between sources can vary a lot, but the same kind of rules apply.

I hope this helps explain a little about an often misunderstood topic. Incidentally, when you listen at "normal" levels, the peak power output is usually only a few Watts per channel even on the peaks.

John Dawson (Arcam)