AVR-300 - Just died any suggestions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by edworthy13, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. edworthy13

edworthy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Hi,Just a few minutes ago turned my AVR 300 off.Then tried to switch it back on but nothing happened it just died.Had been watching tv on it earlier with no problems.Have been reconnecting and changing some wiring earlier.Just bought an XBOX 360 and wired it up.No problems their.Anyone have any suggestions.Hopefully a fuse blown or something simple.Never had any problems with it before.It's about 3 years old.
    Thanks in advance.

2. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Any joy? Is it totally dead, or just the digital decoding (as happened in mine)

3. mcguiganp

mcguiganp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

Totally dead usually points to a power failure of some sort. If it's out of warranty open her up and have a look, probably just the internal fuse.

4. chrisor

chrisor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about taking the unit to a repairer?
    If the fuse is blown, why did it blow? There may be an underlying issue that may need to be attended to. This is especially relevant is there is a potential safety issue to users of the AVR.........

5. edworthy13

edworthy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Hi,Thanks for all the replies.Is now fixed.Was the mains fuse that blew.I use an upgraded mains lead that was using a 3 amp fuse.It's about two and a half years old.Have talked to someone who knows electrics.They seem to think they just get weak after a time.Now replaced with a 5 amp fuse.Thanks

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi Edworthy, glad all sorted. 3amp fuse in a power lead for a reciever? I'd check manual for ratings as this sounds far too low. Even 5amp sounds arated perhaps a little low, but I'm not sure.

I provided a buyer of my NAD T753 reciever myself with a 3amp lead in error and it blew straight away which caused a little worry, but everything sorted out nicely of course.

Coincidently, been past your house the last 3 nights in a row on the way out to and from Friends:) . Whatever happened to that hifi retailer on the shopping parade just across the main road - has it closed down?

Dan.

7. edworthy13

edworthy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Hi Dan,Thanks for the advice.I'll check into it.The hifi retailer is still their and open when he chooses.He just does a lot of installation work.Thanks

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I had the misfortune of phoning said retailer and getting some of the worst customer presale service I've ever had. Firmly turned me away from ever wanting to buy anything from there.:eek:

That shop missed out on a few grand of my business as a result and raised my concerns with the manufacturer involved.

Maybe just a one-off bad experience, but it made up my mind, that's for sure.

Probably catch you soon.

Dan.