1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-300 Crossover frequency

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Garak, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Garak

Garak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Last week I got my AVR-300. What a magnificient amp! I am very pleased by its performance, but I'm still learning all his possibillities.
    My question is about crossover frequency that can be set in one of menus for setting the speakers. I have floorstanders (Kef Q7) that are biamped on rear surround speakers of AVR-300. Crossover frequency on AVR-300 menu is set to 80 Hz bz default. In technical specifications of speakers it says that their cross over frequency is 120 Hz - 2.5 kHz. So, do I have to adjust cross frequency on amp to 120 Hz?
    I hope that someone can help me!

2. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If I'm understanding your question correctly:

The *speaker* crossover frequencies refers to the frequencies at which the incoming signal is split (in your case, between the tweeter/midrange and the midrange/woofer). The lower value, 120 hz, is the midrange/woofer split point.

The *AVR300* crossover frequency refers to the split between the signal being sent to the main speakers and the subwoofer (if present). Assuming you have a subwoofer, the AVR300's crossover frequency should be set to somewhere in the neighborhood of the low-end frequency rolloff of your mains but definitely NOT to the speaker crossover frequency. In other words, you can ignore the speaker crossover specs and look instead for their frequency response range.

Hope this helps.

3. Garak

Garak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for answer. I got simmilar answers from some other people. They recommended to put crossover frequency at 40 - 50 Hz, since frequency response of speakers is 35 Hz - 27 kHz!

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I owned Q7's before my current Reference 203 and found a slight bump around 70-90 Hz so it seems a good idea to set the crossover at 40 or 60 Hz.
    Make sure you're setting the sub OR the amp - not both.
    Barend