Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AVR 300 cooling /positioning

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ttree sound, Nov 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the amp positioned at the bottom of my computer desk as I have connectins running from the PC to the amp. Beneath the amp is my cd player which in turn raises the amp up to bring it 3.4 cm below the computer desk shelf. On top of this shelf is the printer. The amp protrudes from the back by about 10cm, its left side is unobstructed whilst its right side is 5cm from the desk partition.

I am wondering whether there is sufficient spece for adequate cooling in my setup, what do you think?

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'd assume that if the fans aren't coming on constantly then the cooling is good enough.

Having had my avr300 couped up in an AV cabinet for three odd weeks now, I haven't heard the fans once.

3. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've not heard the fans at all, how much noise do they make when on compared to cooling fans within a PC.

4. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My first AVR300 had a faulty fan which came on from 10 mins after turning the amp on. As a comparison, the AVR300 was across the room from the seating position (about 2.5 to 3 meters away) and I could hear it. From that position it was as loud as my PC fan which sits under my desk next to my chair. Having said that, it all depends on how noisy your PC fan is ...
    Put it this way, you'll know, when the fan is on.

5. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Shaka, my PC's fans (all 5 of them) are alled controlled by a heat sensors and 4 separate controls which can reduce the noise to a whisper. When extra cooling is needed I simply turn up the "volume contlrol" on the front mounted cooldrive console - it works a treat. So whenever I am watching a DVD or TV or recorded TV or Radio file from the PC it is always set at its lowest/quietest setting, so I take it that the AVR300 will be well above the noise levels of my PC.

6. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    even under extreem conditions, the AVR300 fan will not be turned on. It will only be turned on if temp rises about 85 degrees or so, meaning that you need to drive it at 100db for 1 hour or so :) (so extreeeeemly extreem)