AVR-300 - Connectivity Advice Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MAV13, Apr 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MAV13

MAV13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

I would appreciate your advice please. I am in the process of upgrading my hi-fi/home cinema set-up and would like to pick your brains before I go further.

I have just purchased an Arcam DV79 to use in place of my Marantz CD and an aged DVD player. I aim to utilise both it's audiophile stereo output as well as watching DVDs. The next purchases are likely to be an Arcam AVR-300 and a flat screen TV. I have auditioned an AVR-350 which is astounding but pricey for my budget. It appears that the AVR-300 has a wealth of similar features but lacks HDMI switching. Good prices at the moment though.

* If I am to go down this route I would consider a direct HDMI link to the back of the TV and a digital co-ax to the amp for surround sound. Is this the best approach? Would I get a lip-sync problem if I didn't route the video signal through the amp? ie would the lips move on the TV before the amp has had the chance to process and distribute signals to the speakers?

* I appreciate that I would be relying on the LCD to upscale. Are panels good enough to do this without assistance these days?

* For stereo delivery would I be best using the digital co-ax input or the usual 2 plug phonos?

The long-term plan is to buy HD player in addition (when they are cheaper and of decent quality) which would leave the DV79 as a stand-alone quality stereo CD player.

Your comments would be gratefully received...

Current System:
    Amp - NAD 3100
    CD - Marantz CD-72
    Main Speakers - Gale GS401 (walnut)
    AV processor & DVD - Cheap Pioneer & Toshiba

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    You shuldn't have any lip-sych issues casued by connecting in this way. If you do, it will be down to the video processing in the television. You can correct for this however on the AVR300 by using the lip-sych delay function.

That depends on the television, if you get a good quality TV like the latest Panasonic, Fujitsu or Pioneer displays then you are likley to get a very good picture using the panel's own scaling.

For the best stereo performance I would recomnmend using the analogue outputs from the player. If you plan to use the 6 channel analogue output from the player for DVD-Audio into the multi-channel input on the AVR300 then this input can be used for CD playback also. If not then a stereo analogue interconnect from the DVD player to the CD input on the AVR300 would be fine.

3. MAV13

MAV13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks very much Crusty L. Ordered the AVR-300 today!

4. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    When I had a DV79 and AVR300 I found no real difference between the coaxial and analogue routes for stereo. There probably is one as Crustyloafer says, but you may not appreciate it if your speakers / interconnects / ears aren't good enough!

5. MAV13

MAV13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm...

Maybe you are right Proukakis. I was relaxing in the tub tonight and was thinking to myself how even though we have more choice now the amount of technology availible makes it so much more complex. At least it means lots of socket changing and knob twiddling which we all enjoy at the end of the day don't we? My girlfriend thinks we are all nerdy weirdos but she just bought two straps of leather branded 'Jimmy Choo' for £400 and she is over the moon.

Whatever floats your boat I guess!

I received the DV79 today and it is sounding amazing. The AVR-300 will arrive tomorrow. Wish I could enjoy evening to myself tomorrow with my cd collection and a bottle of wine... :)