1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300 - BiAmp vs. 7.1

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mgkaplan, Aug 18, 2004.

1. mgkaplan

mgkaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An interesting feature of the AVR 300 is its ability to use channels 6 and 7 as a second set of amplifiers for the main speakers - in lieu of using them for the rears in a 7.1 speaker configuration.

Has anyone evaluated the difference in the sound from the AVR 300 when configured to biamp the main speakers vs. the 7.1 configuration?

My sources - and my ears - tell me that the biamping (leaving a 5.1 configuration) alternative will result in much better overall sound experience than the 7.1 configuration.

Any thoughts?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you are using the amp just for stereo then biamping may help. If you are running 5 speakers I very much doubt the AVR 300 has sufficient power supply (anyone know the VA rating of the power supply?) to add anything extra by biamping the front two. Feel free to try it of course.

Before getting my power amps I biamped my front two with a similar feature on my Pioneer. I *thought* there was a very slight improvement but I wouldn't be surprised if it was all in my head. When the power is coming from a shared PSU it often doesn't help much. If it's a monoamp design there is much more scope for improvement.

3. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that bi-amping speakers with the AVR300 can bring big benifits. I have the AVR300 and just got GR20 floorstanding speakers last week and TBH have only had them bi-amped. will experiment tonight and report back.

The dealer I bought my stuff from had the same amp and same speaker but not bi-amped and I told them they were not good, when he added the extra cabling the difference was huge!

4. mgkaplan

mgkaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that the continuous power output of the AVR 300 is:

120 watts per channel with 2 channels driven

or

100 watts per channel with 7 channels driven

It would appear that biamping would feed 200 watts to each of the main speakers and 100 watts to each of the center and the surround.

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Me and lots of others have written about our biamping quests, do a search.
    I found that buying a relatively cheap 150W amp (Rotel RB981 @ 275 Euro) on Ebay brought the bass control I wanted, after much experimenting and trying several amps.
    It is a real improvement of the bass control and mids clarity, I'm not a purist and very sceptical of highend esoterics...
    One still to test, an old NAD 2200, very reputable, just 150 Euro's, will see.
    Some were disappointing @ low bass: Marantz MA-500 (cheap but not deep enough), Harman Kardon (powerful but a bit less controlled).
    Also tried biamping the rears, which led to a fuzzy soundscape.
    Barend