1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 300 -analog input sound delay

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by m1964, May 11, 2005.

1. m1964

m1964
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rrr

*** I live in US, and have digital cable, which carries most of the channels' audio on both analog and digital frequencies. However, there are just a few channels that come in analog audio only, unfortunately one of them is a local news channel, which I watch once in a while - it's good to know what's happening in your own backyard. To find out what is happening everywhere in the world, I watch international news channel.

I just got my AVR 300 - about 10 days ago - and was enjoing it very much first five days, then I experienced the follwing:
    when switching from a channel that comes in digital audio to a channel that comes in analog audio only, the AVR would take about 17 seconds to switch from digital input to analog audio input, and I would have no sound during those 17 seconds.

According to the manual, AVR automatically switches between analog and digital inputs, and defaults to digital if both are present.

I also know that I can manually chose analog audio input by holding the corresponding input key (SAT in my set-up), but it would be nice if AVR did it automatically in a reasonable time period.

I described this to the tech support here in the US, who replied that AVR normally takes up to 25 seconds to switch to analog audio after digital audio signal disappears. He could not explain why it worked perfectly first five days, and said that it should have never worked like that in the first place - as I indicated above, I did not hear any delays in audio first five days.

Also, is it normal to hear a loud "click" after it has initialized and just before the sound comes up?

Thanks to everyone for your suport.

2. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

If memory serves me right, we put a 20-ish second delay between switching from digital input to analogue. The reason for this is so that the AVR300 stays in digital mode when you are flicking between channels.

When you go from one channel to another, many (most?) digital satellite/cable services/boxes interrupt the digital audio when changing stations. As you have found, most channels come with a digital audio stream, so it makes sense to stay in digital mode waiting for the stream on the new channel to start up again. This gives you minimum delay for the most common situation (ie. digital audio)

We made the delay fairly long so that you can scroll through the list of stations to one you want to watch. During the scrolling time, the digital audio may, or may not be dropping out. We considered 20 or so seconds long enough for you to channel hop and eventually settle on one. As a result the digital audio stream would lock straight away. Similarly, the digital stream can drop out between programmes on a channel and when the adverts are played during a programme.

As for why the digital/analogue switching delay seemed to be very short for the first 5 days.... dunno! Sorry. For the few stations that are analogue only, I guess you'll just have to force the AVR300 to analogue manually if you want sound quicker.

Now then, this click you hear..... is it from the speakers or from the unit itself? If it is predominantly from the unit then it's the speaker output protection relays kicking over to connect the amps to the outside world.

Cheers, Mark

3. GarySargent

GarySargent
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the case where there is a signal on the analogue input and none on the digital, why not switch to analogue after 1 second of continuous audio. Keep the 20 second delay for when there is no signal on either analogue or digital.

4. m1964

m1964
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply, Designer - the unit makes the "clicks" , not the speakers, and it happens after about 4-5 seconds after you turn it on using the remote. I hear one "loud" and then almost immediately not as loud "click".
    According to your message, it's normal.

I now feel better knowing that my AVR works as it supposed to - not that it makes sound delay less annoying...

Anyway, this site IS a great resource for novices like me - thanks again.

5. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yurionel,

The front panel power switch is fairly clicky. The click after you hear shortly after you switch it on is the mains relay that switches on the huge power amp toroidal transformer...... and a few seconds after that the output protection relays as I said. So it sounds as though you have a perfectly normal AVR300!

Mark

6. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    GarySargent,

Yep, I'm hearing what you're saying - but there's a snag. We don't really have a way of detecting if analogue audio is present, sorry.

Mark