1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 250 switching off problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gballan@mac.com, Sep 4, 2005.

1. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had my 250 for almost 5 months now and all was fine. Three days ago it suddenly switched itself off after about 1.5 hours of playing in the morning. It then kept switching itself off after various short intervals.

I took it to my Arcam dealer and, of course, he had it playing all day and no problems.

Now, I used to have my DV27a on top of the amp so was advised that it was probably heat related and to let it breathe. Now the amp has all the room and air that it could possibly want but it persists in turning itself off after 1.5 hours from cold.

Can anyone help?

2. blitzschnell

blitzschnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem, Mine worked 5 months without problem and then started shutting down. At first, I though it was heat related, if it was it has nothing to do with ambient temprature ... I then had a check with my power line, everything was fine there. Finally I checked my speaker setup, cable, everything fine too.

I brought the unit to my dealer, knowing that the unit may not show the problem but fortunately for me it did. the tech tried to find to problem without success, they finally shipped the unit to the Canadian Distributor. I'm supposed to get the unit back by the end of the week. as soon as I get the unit I'll ask them about what they find and I'll post it therem, if it can help getting your unit fixed.

3. blitzschnell

blitzschnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My unit is back home, and it is working fine now ! they simply replaced diode in power supply and put a new firmware for cpu (3.29) and DSP still 1.10 V. So as ausual the best thing is to go back to your Dealer with your unit, I heard from saleman that the same days i picked my unit, their 250 in demo started to exhibit the same problem but they manage to find and fix it this time ... Good luck !

4. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info.

In order to try to figure out was wrong I've unplugged the speaker cables from Zone 2. So far the unit hasn't switched itself off - over a week now.

So perhaps it's an impedence problem. My Vienna Acoustics speakers (2 floorstanders and one small centre speaker) are 4ohm but I'm not sure what the B&W ceiling speakers I'm using for the rears and Zone 2 are. I've got the impedance switched correctly to 4 ohm but the manual says don't use any speakers that go below 4. Perhaps I'm just pushing it too much.

Then again, the unit worked perfectly for several months. I don't think that it's a heating problem as I once put a very big fan in front of it one night - switched it to mute - and went to bed. The next morning I found it had still switched itself off. :confused: