1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 250 or 300 , DV78 or 79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by marksovereign, Jul 18, 2005.

1. marksovereign

marksovereign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi Guys , I need some help.

I'm looking for some AV new kit having disposed of a bose system!!! Ive demoed a lot of kit and have settled on Arcam . My useage is probably 70% CD 30% DVD. I'm currently using a Panasonic CRT so HDMI doesnt really concern me at the moment though I will be buying a Plasma in the next 18 months. My Budget including speakers was £2300 which I could do with the 250 and 78 and some Castle Compacts. I'm nagged by the 300 and 79 as to whether I should be paying the extra for future proofing so apart from the HDMI and A bit extra power, what am I getting and is the 300/79 combo worth the extra money in my situation?

OH Ps has anyone ever come across Chario Speakers, I'm looking at their compact Piccolinos which sounded good to me on demo but again if there are any other alternatives please let me know.

Mark

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Without knowing what else is on your shortlist, it's tough to advise you. All I can say is that I've got a 300 and a 79 and I am delighted with them.

They are an excellent combination. They look and sound stunning. I'd be amazed if you were disappointed in them.

But the best thing to do is not take my word for it, get down to a decent dealer and dem them! My dealer loaned me the Pioneer 868, Denon 3910 and the DV79 for about a week for each of them. So not only did I have plenty of time to make my mind up but also great fun in playing around with them all setting them up and generally in gadget heaven!

Get demo'ing! :clap:

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If you're up in Scotland, Chris (Crustyloafer) deserves a plug as a dealer. He works his socks off supporting this section of the forum and is clearly very knowledgeable. I'm sure you wouldn't go far wrong in his capable hands!

4. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in the same situation myself, decided to go for the better stuff as i would only be able to buy once. I think SQ would be the same, but for piece of mind i when for the 300/79 and am V happy sound wise.

would recommend Creative Audio if your in staffordshire/shropshire

5. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, the decision between the DV78 and 79 is not only on HDMI. if you do not use HDMI yet then you could opt to settle for component. There is only a slight difference between the already very good component and HDMI. The other difference on the DV79 is that it has DVD-Audio on board. (so incl. decoding capabilities, connectors etc). So the real questions is, do you want to have DVD-A ??

if not then I would opt for the DV78 and use the extra money to but the AVR300. ;)

if you also have to buy new speakers, then an AVR250 would be great as well and use the extra money for an increase in speakersquality. Anyway, let your local dealer help you with this decision. Cheers

6. marksovereign

marksovereign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Thanks Guys , I' really appreciating your input. I'll be intrerested to hear what Crustyloafer has to say when he happens along. I suppose all im trying to weigh up is if the 300 & 79 is worth an extra £600

Mark

7. marksovereign

marksovereign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    ps if anyones thinking of selling their AVR250 or 300 or DV78/79 let me know via the forum

8. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As you can see from my signature I went the AVR250 and DV78 route and it basically boiled down to this...

1. I am not interested in DVD-A
    2. My room is quite small, I didn't see the benefit in the beefier AVR300

So before you get stuck on the AVR300 just consider your room size. During my demos the AVR300 was a better performaner but I don't miss that extra edge when listening to my AVR250 at home. It fills the room wonderfully, with plenty to spare, and sounds fanatastic.

In the end I actually managed to get my AVR250 and DV78 as ex-demo, which meant I picked up both for the retail price of an AVR300. So that was the final clincher :)

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would probably recommend the DV78 and AVR300 combination.

Unless you need DVD-A playback (which I am a big fan of by the way) or you plan on making use of the HDMI connection then I wouldn't bother with the DV79.

As far as the amp goes I would definitely say go for the AVR300, it offers quite a bit more control over the speakers and significantly more future upgradeability with its full set of preouts.

10. marksovereign

marksovereign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Thanks Crustyloafer

Thats virtually the conclusion I had come to. Incidentally you havent got a Demo version of either in your shop have you ? I get up to Glasgow very regularly

Mark

11. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    i purchased an AVR300 a while ago and didnt bother demoing the others. Personally i would go for the 300. More balls... if you will.
    Regards
    Jason