1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-250 DSP Upgrade assistance

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by dyna_glide97, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dyna_glide97

dyna_glide97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am attempting to perform a DSP software upgrade on my AVR-250. My current software version is 1.10 and I have the file for version 1.12. I have followed the procedures as documented for the AVR-300. I have the Programmer software on my laptop and a null modem cable connected between the laptop and RS-232 port on the AVR-250. However, when I press RDS Info and Preset Down, I hear a relay activation and deactivation, leading to an error output on the display of the receiver. Is this procedure not supported for the AVR-250? If not, what is the appropriate procedure for upgrading the DSP software in this scenario?

Currently, my firmware is at version 3.16. Based upon another thread recommendation, I am holding off the firmware upgrade to version 3.25 until I have the DSP upgraded to version 1.12.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Regards,

Randy

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I don't think the DSP can be updated on the 250, only only the 300.

John

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You are correct, the DSP software cannot be updated on the AVR250. I guess those with 20:20 hindsightbought the AVR300.

4. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A few days ago I upgraded the firmware of my AVR250 to 3.25, but my DSP version was (and still is) 1.10. I seem to remember reading that the DSP on the AVR250 has no memory, by way of a cost reduction, and is therefore not upgradeable.

When I read the release notes it was clear to me that DSP version 1.10 was a requirement for firmware versions 2.76 and upwards. DSP version 1.12 was introduced for the AVR300 when the 2.80 firmware was released.

Can you direct me to the thread about firmware 3.16 and why it might be more desirable?

5. dyna_glide97

dyna_glide97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, regardless of my disappointment with the lack of DSP upgrade capability, I DID manage to get the firmware upgraded to version 3.25 yesterday. I thought I would share my adventure just in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

I tried a few different cables with no luck connecting to the receiver. I finally made my own DB9 null modem cable from scratch and had the same result. I reviewed the COM port settings once again. After concluding that the parameters were set as per the instructions, I decided to look beyond the basic port settings. I looked at the advanced port settings and changed the receive and transmit FIFO buffers to a lower setting. They had been set at their maximum. This resolved the communication problem between the laptop and receiver.

To remix_88: My apologies but I haven't seen a thread that stated advantages of sticking with 3.16 firmware. But that does not mean it doesn't exist. Perhaps someone else knowledgeable on the subject can put their two cents in?

Randy

6. Datashadow

Datashadow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this was a timely post...

Just last night I finally got around to upgrading the firmware on my AVR-250 (from v2.84). Only to run into the same "UPDATE ERR" issue. This post was the first that I've seen that mentions that the AVR-250's DSP is not upgradable. :(

Does anyone know if can be upgraded by a repair center?

It would be helpful if the lack of upgradability was mentioned in the sticky version post: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203055

I'm now off in search of a copy of 3.25, the latest I have is 3.16.

P.S. I used a "LapLink" serial cable to connect my laptop to the AVR-250. It worked just fine.

7. dyna_glide97

dyna_glide97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you send me your address, I can forward you a copy of the 3.25 firmware file.