AVR 2105 sound cut out with Mordauntshort Premier speakers

wishy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have asked on the amp thread to see if anyone knows of a problem with a batch of AVR 2105's which Wallzy sugested in previous posts.

My amp has packed up! or maybe it's my Mordauntshort speakers. I'm such a novice at all this AV stuff :suicide:

Amp lights up then standby light rapidly flashes. I have checked speaker cable connections and all seems perfectly ok.

Is there any wayto see if it is the speakers at fault or should I accept my amp is dead!
I have tried resetting the processor but to no avail.

HEEEEEEEEElp :lease:

Try disconnecting everything, then do another reset. It is possible, that depending on the speakers frequency responce and impedance they have caused the problem. Do you know the spec for the speakers?

This isn't to say the speakers are to blame just that the way its been set up the load on the amp caused damage to the amplifier stage, hence it is not turning on.

It is nigh on impossible all your speakers would die at the same time, the amp is obviously not passing its own power on self test. As suggested disconnect everything and try a reset. That isolates the amp and determines if you need to contact the point of sale to get it looked at. Good luck.

Speakers are Mordauntshort Premier Plus surround.

2xFront, centre and 2x surround rear are all 80w, 4~8 ohms impedence
Plus subwoofer.

When you say disconnect everything does this mean EVERYTHING! or just all the speakers?

Thanks guys for the help but above all the patience :confused:

Edit: I have attempted to reset microprocessor but with all connections in place, this I did after checking speaker cables weren't shorting out. :suicide:

Well, Cable M, I disconnected every speaker and interconnect from the rear of the amp as you suggested.
Switched on and initiated processor with the A+B speaker button, but woe of woes amp still reverts to flashing standby button. Guess this means the amp is dead and buried!

What is worse is that I have tested the speakers with a multimeter to find that their is no Ohm reading from any of the speakers.

Does this mean the amp has also blown all the speakers somehow even though you suggested this would be highly unlikely.

This just gets worse by the day. :eek:

wishy said:
Does this mean the amp has also blown all the speakers somehow even though you suggested this would be highly unlikely.

Try the speakers on a different amp. At least if they are open circuit they will not kill another amp. I really can't think of a scenario where all speakers would die. It would have to be something catastrophic like lightening.

I am a total novice Cable M, would you know how I can tell if my Mordauntshort speakers are , how you say, open circuit.

There was no manual with them only a leaflet showing how to mount them to the wall.

Thanks again for your wisdom. :smashin:

DVD had only been on 5 mins, not loud and volume actually being turned down. Definately no lightening strike! and not a murmur when they first cut out. Just deathly silence :confused:

you may not have blown all the channels but when the amp runs its test on start up, with or with out a speaker if it feels one of the channels is faulty it will not power up.
Looks like its back to the dealer...
What is the frequency responce of the speakers?
Lets say they have a responce of 120Hz-22Khz, if they are set to large the amp will send signals below 120Hz to the speakers, for all we know at these frequencies the speakers impedance could be 0ohms or, quite possibly less then 4ohms, in which case this would act like a short circuit and take out the amp.

My 2105 was a refurb for a fault called 'switches itself off' - I've also read (after I bought mine) a lot of similar threads. I believe there is a problem with them and based on the fact that mine was refurbished it can be fixed. Speak to your dealer - even if it's out of guaranty you may be able to get a reduction on the cost of the repair if it's a common known fault.

As for your speakers showing no Ohm reading - IIRC this is perfectly normal. Speaker impedance is measured against an alternating current not direct and 4-8Ohms is very low anyway. I don't think this is an indication that your amp has zapped your speakers - but the only way to be totally sure is to try them with another amp or when yours is fixed.

Hang on is your 2105 less then 2 years old? if so it should be a warranty repair, talk to your dealer.

Hi guys, yes my amp is still in warranty, less than 7 mnths old. Problem I have is reatiler I bought from is no longer. Unbeatable.co.uk has gone bust. So I am dealing with Denon direct, from who I may add, I have had no reply as to warranty repair.

All the speakers were set to Small and I am now, at this very moment, looking into what freq response they have.

Cheers, will keep you posted!

Edit:
Just got speaker info so added it here,
Model 302 Four satelites,
Frequency response (Hz) 100-20k
Sensitivity (dB) 86
Impedance (nominal) (Ohms) 4-8
Power rating (Watts RMS) 15-80
Drivers* (1) 3.5"/90mm mid/bass
(1) 1"/25mm tweeter
X-Over type 2nd order
Dimensions (hxwxd) (mm) (inches) 180x112x130
7.1x4.4x5.1
Weight (kg) (lbs) 2
Magnetic shielding Yes

Centre speaker,
Model 304

Frequency response (Hz) 100-20k

Sensitivity (dB) 86

Impedance (nominal) (Ohms) 4-8

Power rating (Watts RMS) 15-80

Drivers* (1) 90mm aluminium CPC mid/bass
(2) 25mm aluminium dome tweeter

X-Over type 2nd order

Dimensions (hxwxd) (mm) (inches) 112 x 278 x 130
4.4x11.1x5.2

Weight (kg) (lbs) 3

Magnetic shielding Yes

Hope this helps all you AV doctors :smashin:

Ok go into the Setup and set the crossover to 100Hz with them all small, then, if the sub has it, set its crossover to 100Hz or maximium.

Will try this once I can get the amp repaired I guess, because at the moment I can't get the amp to come on. Even with everything disconnected from the amp as I posted earlier.

I am going to borrow a working amp to test the speakers to see if they work ok.

Cheers Eddy boy, will let you know what happens.

Ok, first the good news!
Tried the speakers by attaching to my Lynn Hi-Fi amp and speakers work perfectly well thankyou very much :smashin:

So it is looking very likely that the £400 Denon amp has thrown in the chips.

Now the bad news!

Denon still haven't contacted me as regards return for repair under warranty. after numerous e-mails to their technical support.
I will be on the phone to their head office 9am tomorrow! very poor customer service so far. :thumbsdow

Keep you posted as to response.

I think patience is the by-word with Denon, especially if you did not buy from one of their 'approved' dealers. Persevere though, you should get a result.

wishy said:
Amp lights up then standby light rapidly flashes. I have checked speaker cable connections and all seems perfectly ok.

This normally happens when mute is pressed. However, I'm sure by unplugging from mains & reconnecting would cure this problem, if it was that.

I will certainly try this sequence Timbo21 when my head has stopped spinning.

Discussed the problem with the amp and Mordauntshort speakers with a Hi-fi mate who came round to help my situation and answer my exhaustive cries of woe!

He advised that...
the speakers have capasitors which give low impedence at certain frequencies therefore the amp would probably go the same way again should I get it repaired...

Now because I am such a novice with all this hi-fi wizzadry I thought I had done the right thing by purchasing an amp and speaker setup which the reviews recommended and which on paper semed pretty well matched.
All the jargon is way over my head but I presumed that 4-8ohms speakers driven by the Denon 2105 would be fine.
Particularly when I set all the speakers to small and set the sub crossover to 120Hz, wow :cool:

Now I realise that this may have been totally incorrect but please how can manufacturers such as Denon expect customers, such as myself, with such naivity in the av world be expected to understand the oh so complex technical side of buying av equipment.

I'm totally disheartened as I tried soooooo hard to get it right.

Has anyone out there got a 2105 running Mordauntshort premier speakers without a hitch! :lease:

Thats what your dealer is for, they should help advise you on the way to set up your amp, of if you are completely uncertain phone the support of the respective brands and get advice.

As a last resort you could always.... read the manual...

Make sure when you get the amp back you do the auto setup, don't have to, then confirm that the speakers are set to small and 120Hz.

If the amp was in mute mode, the front panel would say such, if the front panel is off then it is protect mode.

Manuals, ahhh! yes those books of non-laymans instructions.Even when explained by hi-fi buffs sometimes the information is bewilderring for us novices.

I agree Eddy Boy reading the manual does help on some aspects but I would never attempt to change the computer engine management system in my car with just a manual to guide me. :rolleyes:

As for guidance from dealers I guess I made the first mistake by buying online at a suitable price rather than at bumped up dealership prices, to my cost I suppose and not ALL dealers are very helpfull with AV virgins!

I did research a couple of months before buying all my kit using the AV forum and magazines but sometimes Eddy Boy I find, "...the more educated you become the less you realise you know...!"

Thanks again, will be sending amp back as it seems to be deceased.

In the meanwhile I am moving my Alpha Infinity speakers to be ready for it's return and try driving my Mordauntshorts' with my old Panny SA-HE90.

Is this a good move or not guys?

Edit;
P.S. Eddy boy, before boxing up Denon amp to return, is it possible to get it out of protect mode and try alternative speakers?

wishy said:
I agree Eddy Boy reading the manual does help on some aspects but I would never attempt to change the computer engine management system in my car with just a manual to guide me. :rolleyes:
:rotfl: All i can say is setting something up is a lot easier then physicaly altering parts.

The only thing you can try is the reset where you hold the the two buttons on the front panel and power on.
After that you get into the physical part altering engineering bit.:devil:

Tried the manual reset but to no avail.

And the bit about,
...you get into the physical part altering engineering bit.
now that really is SCARY :nono:

Ringing Denon as I type...let you know outcome.

Hi Wishy.

Ive had exactly the same problem. My 2105 amp was finally replaced by a brand spanking new one.

Bought from a sevenoaks shop in Notts and it was still under warrenty. They also tried to reset it but couldnt either.

Was returned to denon uk, whom replaced it with a new one approx 1week later.

Speakers Im using are KEF 2005.2 Also thought it was my speakers or wiring but there must have been an issue with the amp.

The advice I got was on my setup was:
obviously set speakers to small (which they were)
but set crossover at 120Hz (mine was set at 80Hz).

Ive had the replacement in use now for 4 months and touch wood, ive no problems to report.

Good luck

Hi Darron027, good to know somebody has had smilar problems as me.

My speakers were set to small and crossover was 100Hz, but the speakers were 4-8ohms and Mordaunt short are apparently difficult to drive so this has added to the problem.

I have been away for the last 7 days so have not got round to contacting Denon by phone yet. But will be doing so first thing in the morning.

I have the unfortunate luck that my dealer has gone bust so will have to deal direct with Denon.

Thanks for your message and I'm glad to hear your kit is working fine now.

Cheers

Have finally managed to get through to Denon, BAD NEWS!!!

Take a look at "Denon, internet sales" thread in this forum...

Any views or advice welcome guys!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom