• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR-1910 HDMI cables

allmans29

Standard Member
Hi all. I'm new here and not at all savvy to this home theater stuff. I just purchased a Denon AVR-1910 to go along with my Denon DVD-CD player , 42" LG LCD and a digital cable box. All we want to do is watch Hi-def TV and DVD's and play cd's. I plan on using all HDMI connections and am beginning to get pretty well confused as to what to buy for cables. I don't really want to spend a fortune on them but don't want junk either. Some say not to waste a lot of money, some say cable quality is super important. Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm close to ordering from Monoprice or Cablesforless unless I hear not to. Thanks in advance.

gcol

Last edited:

Damavand

Standard Member
If you need a long hdmi cable, iv'e used a 10 metre "thatcable company" one and it's great. £30 can't get better than that.
Only problem I had was with the moulding around the connection but trimmed it with a sharp knife so it fitted better.

balders

If you need a long hdmi cable, iv'e used a 10 metre "thatcable company" one and it's great. £30 can't get better than that.
Only problem I had was with the moulding around the connection but trimmed it with a sharp knife so it fitted better.

+1 for thatcable
I've got a 1m HDMI cable (it was around £5 delivered), and it works perfectly. It also feels sturdy, and nicely put together. If you want more info, it came out very well in what hifi's hdmi tests.

I've also got a very nice one from Mark Grant that cost a bit more and is a bit chunkier. The picture looks identical over a 1m run though.

Balders.

Liam O

Hi,
Looks like you have a decent midrange set-up there with a 5 star AV amp/receiver.
I've just bought similar kit with KEF speakers and it was important for me to buy the best that I could afford.
One tends to think that they're only bits of wire like a trailing extension lead and it makes your eyes water handing over the money I can assure you!.
They are in fact 'critical path' pieces of signal equipment and poor purities of metals in conductors and terminals can seriously affect your enjoyment. So can crap screening, the HDMI cable is a multicore and needs each core shielding properly as well as the overall cable.
Manufacturers make me laugh though...I can't find any guidance on suitable makes or specs of HDMI/Component leads etc in the AVR 1910 manual can you? Just a suspect set of component/phono leads fell out of the box.
Apologies for labouring the point and respect to everyone else's opinion here as it can be a really subjective subject.
I've found mine perfect (Cambridge Audio Azur).

gcol

One tends to think that they're only bits of wire like a trailing extension lead and it makes your eyes water handing over the money I can assure you!.
They are in fact 'critical path' pieces of signal equipment and poor purities of metals in conductors and terminals can seriously affect your enjoyment. So can crap screening, the HDMI cable is a multicore and needs each core shielding properly as well as the overall cable.
Not for a digital signal.:smashin:
CNET Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI cables: What HDMI cable should I buy? - CNET Reviews

gcol

Not sure but your reply seems to have a hint of sacrasm. It's often of more use to state clearly what you mean. Are you saying that you do not agree with what I have posted? If that is the case, can you direct me to the exact point in any evidence where it shows that a digital signal is better transmitted (over reasonable lengths) via a high quality cable rather than a budget cable?

Liam O

Not sure but your reply seems to have a hint of sacrasm. It's often of more use to state clearly what you mean. Are you saying that you do not agree with what I have posted? If that is the case, can you direct me to the exact point in any evidence where it shows that a digital signal is better transmitted (over reasonable lengths) via a high quality cable rather than a budget cable?

More tongue in cheek than anything Gcol as your response appeared brusque, although you may not have meant it that way...let's not have a bun fight...
I'm entitled to my opinion and expressed it sincerely with respect to everyone else's comments including yours.

gcol

No let's not have a bun fight.:D
Totally appreciate anyone's opinion about things that are not black and white and can be subjective. However, in this instance it is black and white - if a budget cable is capable of carrying a digital signal from one end to the other then it will perform exactly as well as an expensive one. As I'm sure you are aware, a digital signal is made up of "1"s and "0"s or basically on or off. You can't get a better quality "1" or "0" you just get it or you don't. It's that simple.:smashin:

Metalex

Hi,
Looks like you have a decent midrange set-up there with a 5 star AV amp/receiver.
I've just bought similar kit with KEF speakers and it was important for me to buy the best that I could afford.
Manufacturers make me laugh though...I can't find any guidance on suitable makes or specs of HDMI/Component leads etc in the AVR 1910 manual can you? Just a suspect set of component/phono leads fell out of the box.
Apologies for labouring the point and respect to everyone else's opinion here as it can be a really subjective subject.
I've found mine perfect (Cambridge Audio Azur).
http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/831330-hdmi-cables-just-facts.html

The important bit is this video, at about 3:22:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/avforums-video-productions/1032763-hdmi-v1-4-explained.html

Liam O

Metalex many thanks for the constructive and informative links.

gcol

:rotfl::rolleyes:

gcol

I was laughing at your "tongue in cheek" comment. If I were being childish I would have said "my tv is bigger than your tv."
You're weird dude - let it go. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom