AVR-1910 and Sky+

sanch3z

Established Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my shiny new amp and whilst reading the manual it stated that the s-vid connection was strictly for an iPOD. I was hoping to connect my Sky+ to this port so get the best possible picture from it as it's far superior to an ariel lead. So can anybody tell me whether it's ok to use the s-vid connection for my sky box or the best alternative.

Thanks for any help.

I'm sure the questions been asked before and nobody has managed to get the svideo input to work for sky.

Actually if you want the best possible picture connect via scart to a RGB scart on your TV. RGB via scart is the best possible video output from sky+. Just use optical for the audio to the amp.

Ah, I know my brother has managed it with his AVR-1909 but wasn't sure if it's possible with mine.

Problem with trying to connect via scart is that my Sammy LED doesn't have those connections and I ideally want to do everything through the amp.

Sorry to dive into this thread, but I've had sky HD installed today, and will be picking up my AVR1910 tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that I will simply be able to send everything via HDMI from my sky box to my AVR, then in turn straight to my telly via HDMI?

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but I am totally new to this :hiya:.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

This thread is about connecting Sky+ to the AVR which doesn't have an HDMI out. You'll find with your amp there's both a comprehensive manual and a quick guide for people who just want to get it up and running but to answer your question.

Yes and yes,

HMDI out from your HD box into the AVR then out to your TV. There a few things to run through when setting it up but the quick guide will take you through it.

So back to topic, can I reassign the s-vid output on the amp to sky/cable then assign an optical port to it for the sound? I know you can do this on the AVR-1909 but not sure if this has been disabled on the 1910. I get what you're saying about a scart to RGB direct to the TV but I want to use the upscaler on the amp plus my trunking leading to the TV won't take a scart connector.

Sanch3z

Not tried, but as far as I understand it the the svideo is ONLY for the Denon ipod dock on the 1910. There have been a number of people who have tried but failed to successfully use this input for anything else.

Edit

oops I see the this has already been answered, sorry for duplicate info (don't want to upset the mod)

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong.
Take a scart to component for the video part. The component can be used as input on the 1910. You can use the upscaling part.
An extra audio lead from the Sky+ to the 1910 and you are sorted.
Then a HDMI lead from 1910 to TV.

On my DVD2900 I don't have HDMI but I have component out and I use those to connect to the 1910 and it works very well and the upscaling works as well.

Good luck

i have seen that this is an option but opinion is no better than just connecting directly to the tv and not using the amp

When I switch everything on at my setup I only switch the tv on once and I never use the tv remote anymore as everything is switched with the Denon.
And maybe the upscaling on the Denon is better than the one in the tv.

I had a Denon AVR-1801 first, where there was no point in using the video part as only my DVD was the only SD part of my setup, but now everything switching using the Denon 1910 it makes life very easy I think.

Cheers

Correct me if I am wrong.
Take a scart to component for the video part. The component can be used as input on the 1910. You can use the upscaling part.
An extra audio lead from the Sky+ to the 1910 and you are sorted.
Then a HDMI lead from 1910 to TV.

Sky doesn't support component output over scart, so that doesn't work. He could get a RGB scart to component convertor (~£60-£150), that's what I use to do before I got SkyHD.

That is a shame that it does not work as easy (or cheap).

Maybe a good time to change to Sky HD+

Cheers

I'm sure the questions been asked before and nobody has managed to get the svideo input to work for sky.

Actually if you want the best possible picture connect via scart to a RGB scart on your TV. RGB via scart is the best possible video output from sky+. Just use optical for the audio to the amp.

I agree with DWhite. I asked the manager at Richer Sounds Manc'r. (not a plug!!) to sketch me out a schematic for his proposed interconnect lay-out when I was buying my system and have to say I was a little non-plussed to see a Scart between the Sky + and the TV Ext.1.
I too have my audio via optical to the amp. Everything is stunning so far.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom