AVR-1909 Sky+HD no sub

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GlebeCS, Feb 13, 2014.

1. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

I spent yesterday setting my AVR-1909 up and on the whole I am happy, one thing I cannot work out...

I get DD from sky whether I use optical or HDMI audio, either seems to work.

On non DD channels the amp indicated DPL2 Cinema, I have sound from Front/Center/Rear speakers but nothing from my sub, I have been through settings several times and cannot work this out, initially I had no sub on stereo but found a setting to enable this for music etc but cannot find any way to get anything from the sub on Sky DPL2

Any help much appreciated

Thanks, Andy

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    Stereo content has no dedicated LFE channel so Pro Logic II has to create a pseudo LFE channel from the audio. The audio would need to consist predominantly of low frequencies below 120 Hz for your sub to kick in while using Pro Logic II. Also note that if you've designated your speakers as being LARGE then no frequencies at or below your crossover settings will be redirected away from speakwers to the sub, again resulting in your sub not being utilised. I'd suggest you ensure all speakers are designated as being SMALL irrespective of their physical size and that you use a crossover or crossovers that are sympathetic to your speakers' frequency handling capabilities. If the audio has no low frequencies that would require a sub then there's not actually a problem with the sub not being used. The sub is only there to deal with frequencies your other speakers cannot deal with.

I'd also suggest you turn off or disengage any form of auto power feature onboard your sub if it has such a feature?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  3. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that, I will have a play around tonight and over the weekend, I have gale monitor gold 2 front speakers, gale monitor bipolar rear, aegis evo centre and BK XLS-200 mk2 sub, I have the speakers set to large and crossover at 80 Hz at the moment, maybe I need to adjust this

Andy

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Set all the speakers to small and keep the 80Hz crossover. Currently with the speakers set to large the cross over is doing nothing since a full range signal is going to all the speakers and nothing is being redirected towards the sub.

5. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I will do that, also, I have the denon setup as biwired front speakers and am using the 'B' set of speaker connectors to connect the high level input to the sub, I would have thought that I should have got some output as the sub would be receiving the full range from the B connectors?

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Why would the sub get the output from the B connectors? Since if it did split the signal it would just send it to the LF on the fronts. In reality a full range signal gets sent to both the HF and LF side and the internal crossover in the speaker itself sorts out the frequencies to pass on to the actual driver.

7. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unless I am being ignorant (a distinct possibility)..... With the Amp set to bi-wired fronts then the full range should be going to the output of both A and B connectors, I have the fronts connected to A and the high level connectors for the sub connected to B, I also have the sub set to LFE+Main on the Amp so I would expect the sub to get the same signal as the fronts and anything below 120 Hz (which I have the sub set at on the sub itself) should be coming out of the sub, not sure if I have confused anyone but myself here though

Andy

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You are right in thinking you should get full range output to the sub, but you are totally wrong in the way you've gone about it. You only need an RCA connection from the receiver to the sub from the receivers sub pre out. Let the receiver's bass management determine what is sent as opposed to trying to force the issue by using spare speaker terminals and a=inappropriate amp assignments!

9. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just followed the sub manual, it is supplied with high level and low level inputs cables, if I use only the LFE would that mean I get no sub when listening to music?

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You use the bass management of the receiver to determine what frequencies are senr to the sub via the sub pre out. There is no requirement to use the speaker terminals or for you to reassign amplification stages.

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    When you said you had biamped the speakers I assumed you had biamped the fronts as the function is intended and not set a high level input to the sub,
    As Dante says, if you select the speakers as small and a crossover of 80Hz then no matter what you listen to , whether stereo or 5.1 etc. then anything below 80Hz will be directed to the sub. So you will always have a sub output assuming there is something in the soundtrack below 80Hz.

12. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, thanks for all the advice, I now have everything working well sound wise, I am impressed, I like the sound better than my Yamaha RXV-630RDS.

I now have an issue with the HDMI upscaling, I have it set on all inputs to upscale to 1080p but my Sharp TV indicates that this isn't happening, on Sky its shows 1080i and on my WDTV 720p, I have convert in and IP scaler set to A-H, 1080p is definitely selected too, am I missing something?

13. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    The AVR1909's scaler only works in conjunction with non HDMI inputs and cannot scale up HDMI sources. Later models will allow this, but most HDMI sources are HD anyway so there's little if any need to scale them.

14. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I would just turn the upscaler off since your TV and/or source itself will upscale just as well if not better anyway. Upscaling on AVRs is more of a box ticking gimmick than a useful feature especially at this level of receiver. Leave the audio device sort the audio and let the visual device(s) sort out the picture.

15. GlebeCS

GlebeCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks again, all sorted