1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-1906 microphone auto-set problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve T, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After getting hold of my Denon 1906 this weekend, I've experienced a problem with the Auto-setup using the microphone callibration. Now, at the risk of much egg on face, is there something idiotic that I am doing/not doing?

I'm using the on screen display, connecting the Mic to the Setup Mic jack (and placing in the listening position) and going into Auto Set UP. When I select START it does nothing but kick me back into the previous page without the promised test tones, meaurements etc.

It's not a massive problem in that I have manually set it up, but it is just bugging the hell out of me why it wont work?

Any ideas (other than RTFM!)

2. delta99

delta99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you need to press the 'left arrow' button rather than the central button to select that option. It's totally unintuitive and caught me out as well when setting up my 2106!

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,403
    And on my 2105 - it has to be one of the most stupid bits of UI design I've come across!

4. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks fellas - I will check it out. I was hoping it'd be something straightforward.

Update - 8.33am. Thanks again chaps, that did the trick.

5. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Got my new 1906 last week and its going back, what a donkey !! talk about unintuative thats the understatement of the year its a bl**dy nightmare and as for the manual what blind dyslexic japanese gentleman wrote that atrocity ? Similar auto set up problems here except mine tells me it cant finish set up because it cant find surround speakers after many hours of head scratching and even more reading I concluded that Denon call the rear surrounds just surrounds and that what I call surrounds they call rears, no wonder it cant find them I wired my rears to rear connections which to me seemed natural. Alas not to Denon. From day 1 despite making every possible setting adjustment I have had no on-screen display. Spoke to Denon today who asked how it was connected to plasma ?, by component of course I reply, ahh try composite then they say. Why doesnt it work with component I ask ? yes they say it should but if not use composite. Yeah right shove it I say & by the way your manual is pants and the menu system sucks. You sure are'nt the first to say that. Now looking for a replacement, really like the Yamaha RX-V457 but black or titanium ? wont that look great with all the silver kit we have had foisted uppon us for the last X number of years. :thumbsdow
    Any suggestions for another replacement gratefully received.

6. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,i spent hours today trying to set-up the denon 1906 .When you eventually get the on screen menu on and go into auto set-up please as others here have said press the left arrow key instead of the more obvious choice of the select button.I hope this saves people time messing around.

Cheers.

CHRIS...

7. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    After reading the above, I assume you were setting up a 5.1 system. In a 5.1 setup the rear speakers are in fact 'Surrounds'. The 'Surround Back' channels being for the rear speakers in 6.1/7.1 setups. This is clearly indicated, using diagrams, in the manual. So although I agree that Denon manuals are not the most user friendly, in this instance I think you may be at fault. :(

The best way to connect the on-screen display, is from the monitor out socket. This works perfectly. The manual is not user friendly, as I said earlier, but with a little effort it is still possible to find the relevant information. ;)

Good luck in your search for another AV receiver. Denon are pretty good though, just a pity you didn't get your's set up properly to find out.

8. Topic

Topic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had problems too trying to get the on screen display.
    How can I get the on screen display on my Sony KDF E50A 12.

9. c_fletcher

c_fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine yesterday, a bargain (i thought) at £230 but I have to agree with all previous comments regarding the instructions, worst I have had to try and decipher in a long time, remote control nearly ended up embedded in the wall. In addition the auto setup randomly reported wrong phase settings for all but the centre speaker, plus the sub was set to 3.5 metres despite being 2.3metres. Having said all that, when tweaked manually the sound was stunning, LOTR3 had sounds I had never heard before on the old Sony 475. Thoroughly recommended

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    £230 for a 1906 is indeed a bargain,we got one for the father in law just before xmas from sevenoaks Wolverhampton branch and paid £297 which was not that good a price but the father in law did not want to buy online.

Where did you get yours from at that price?

Anyway setup was easy enough with the mic,just one speaker reported out of phase but the rest was all ok.He is very pleased with the Denon after I had set it up for him.Must say Denon remotes and instruction books leave a lot to be desired (and I am a big denon fan) but you can't get away from the quality of the construction and sound.

11. scribla

scribla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see EmpireDirect.co.uk sell the 1906 at £235, absolute cheapest i could find.
    However I am probably going to buy one tomorrow from sevenoaks at £297, the fact that they will also sell me a set of 2005.2 KEF Eggs for just £449 will ease the pain. Not sure if SO have a price match policy, but I'll sure give it a try.

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The Kef Eggs are on sale for £449 at all Sevenoaks at the moment so you're not getting a special deal just 'cause you're buying the 1906 from them. See if you can get them to do better than £297 or at least throw in some cabling, or if you can wait a bit get it from Empire.

Creative audio are selling the 1906 and the Kef 2002.2 plus a full set of cables for £750 and that's based on the normal retail of £600 for the Kefs so Sevenoaks should be able to do a bit better.

13. scribla

scribla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I will try hard to get a deal, but if I'm honest being able to walk out with the lot under my arm tomorrow will be my downfall. Waiting a few extra days for empire would be the way to go. This will be my first system, and I can't bloody wait :D I will try and stay level headed :smashin:

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Good luck :smashin: and let us know how you get on. This is exactly the setup that I'm thinking on getting in a few weeks so if you come up with a good deal I'd be very interested.

15. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ref on screen display i also find its better to use the monitor out (s video) on my 3805 into av3 on the panny

this gives immediate access to said display without interfering with any other channels/functions

16. scribla

scribla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Visited the nice people at sevenoaks today, they wouldn't budge on the price of the 1906 at all, no deal on cabling or stands either.
    So I just took the eggs at £449. avr1906 on order from empire. Now if I could just find some stands at a reasonable cost.

17. JazzyB

JazzyB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I have been pulling my hair out for the past two days trying to figure out how I could be missing something! :clap:

18. Marcus Geezer

Marcus Geezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know I'm relatively new to the forum, but after reading the comments from Figment re: the 1906, had to just pen a few words to defend Denon.

I've had the 1906 for about 6 months, and although the menu system or the manual could be better, it aint as bad as described. Yes it took a bit of fiddling about, and sometimes you press the left arrow instead of the enter or whatever, but so what! I figured it out, and probably so did pretty much everyone else, so I'm a bit flabbergasted the blame is put on Denon 100%. :nono:

Our ultimate goal is to watch films / listen to music / whatever, and to spend a fiddly hour or two setting up and tweaking the system, is in my eyes one of the small tasks we do to reach this ultimate goal. In fact taking that extra bit of time to do it 'just right' is sometimes a joy in itself becuase of the eventual outcome i.e. good quality sound. :thumbsup:

Sorry Figment. Hope it worked out for you in the end.

PS: I use an S-Video flying lead to connect into AV3 when I need to perform setup operations and it works very well for me thank you!!

These are my views only and are not meant to offend or intimidate.