1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 1905 OSD & Component Video

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by maxntulsa, Oct 23, 2004.

1. maxntulsa

maxntulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 1905 running with HD Cable TV box and Pioneer DVD connected to the component video inputs. I have a Hitachi VCR connected to VCR RCA inputs. I run all video out to a Samsung DLP HDTV using the component video out connections.

The OSD displays when using Setup or pressing OSD on the remote work fine. However, when viewing using the DVD or Cable box, the information displays ie master volume level, do not display. When viewing using the VCR, these types of status displays show up.

Does anyone know if this is an 'undocumented feature' of the unit or is there something that needs to be configured to allow status displays to showup when the video input is coming in via component video?

Thanks
    Max Daniel
    Tulsa, OK USA

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the Cable box and DVD using a Progressive Scan signal? I'm pretty sure the OSD isn't overlaid on a Progressive signal.

3. maxntulsa

maxntulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Switched the DVD to interlaced and still doesn't work. I dont have the ability to change the signal on the cable box. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. maxntulsa

maxntulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is the technical response from Denon (name not disclosed to protect the innocent)

This is by intentional design.

The OSD is a video OVERLAY signal which is generated in NTSC format, also
    called 480i (interlaced).

Composite (Yellow) video jacks, and S-Video jacks can ONLY contain 480i
    signals, so the OSD is compatible for overlay.

Although the component video jacks MIGHT contain a 480i signal, they more
    typically carry 480p (progressive), or even Hi-Def 720p or 1080i signals.
    None of these are compatible with the overlay format. Accordingly, so as not
    to interfere with progressive and Hi-Def signals, the OSD is blocked when
    component input sources are selected.