AVR 100 configuration for B&W Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Benfica, Jul 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody help me in this one ?

I read yesterday in a magazine (HI FI "something" - sorry can't remember the exact name know- August edition), that had a test on AVR 300, among others like Denon 3805, stating that with AVR 300 you should configure it for 4ohm speakers even if you had 8ohm speakers.

As I have a B&W Speakers (DM 603 S2 - front and DM 602 S2 - rear, the centre speaker is also B&W but I don't remember the model), all are 8ohm speakers stated in the manuals, should I configure my AVR 100 to 4ohm speakers or keep it as it is now (for 8ohm speakers), as it is stated in the AVR 100 manual ?

And, just for curiosity, why would it be better to change to 4ohm or not ?

Please take in consideration that I'm not an expert in this type of things ! Pelase be patient !

If i should change, would i notice any sound improvement ? (note: i'm quite happy right now with the sound quality I have, but if I can get better ....)

Thanks, for your help, in advance.

Best regards,.

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The magazine is:

Hi-Fi News (AVtech suplement)

that has this article "AV Receiver group test: Six of the hottest new £1000 models are given the AVTech treatment: Arcam AVR300, Denon AVR-3805, Harman Kardon AVR 630, Pioneer VSX-AX5i, Rotel RSX-1056, Yamaha RX-V2400RDS"

Best regards,

3. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    If you change the switch to the 4 Ohms setting it will reduce the voltage accross the output stage. This reduces the amount of heat in the output devices when driving low impedance loads. If your speakers are 8 Ohm speakers and do not have any nasty impedance drops you shoudln't have any problem with it set how it is now. If you find it is getting too hot you could change the switch.

As for sound quality all I can tell you is that it will almost certainly sound different, changing almost anything seems to affect the sound. So changing the voltage rail on the amplifer will almost certainly change it. Weather this is better or worse is largely a matter of personal tase.

Do NOT change the switch with the power connected, it may damage the amp or the speakers.

Regards,
    Andrew

4. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had some small issues with DD soundtracks and wondered if it would help changing the switch on the AVR200. I have this driving the rears with a P90/3 driving the fronts, the AVR does seem to be getting hotter than previously, wondered if this was due to input stages of P90/3 sonically superiour to outputs from AVR. Would changing the ohms help alliviate this. Have B&W's all round?