1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVP700 Probs.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by niceguy235uk, Oct 24, 2005.

1. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Just playing through a few cd's tonight in Stereo (not direct) so that i have bass management and i noticed that i was getting massive amount of distortion through the speakers.

If i switched to 'Direct' mode then all was fine and no distortion.

It sounds to me like the DSP side of things is 'giving up' in stereo mode.

Any ideas anyone? or should i bite the bullet and heave it back to my dealers after spending several hours disconnecting everything.

Cheers all

2. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm going to assume you're using the analogue inputs.
    Sounds to me like you might be clipping the A-D converter input. The factory default for the analogue inputs is that it will hard clip the A-D converter at 2Vrms. You can change this so that signals up to 4Vrms will be accepted without clipping.

You will probably find that most CD players these days output a signal that is more than 2Vrms. Digital clipping does sound horrible.

Try this:
    Go into the advanced setup menu (press and hold 'Menu' button for more than 2 seconds. Navigate to the 'Adv Trim' page. Go to the line on the page that your distorting source is connected to and adjust this to a higher number. If it is currently 2V, change it to 4V. Save this setting and exit the menu. If you have music playing while you do this you would hear the sound level drop and hopefully get rid of the distortion.

If that doesn't fix it then the problem lies elsewhere, but you say everything is fine in Direct, so I'm fairly hopefull!

Hope that helps.

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hi Mark.

Spot on.

I had for some reason adjusted the input trim for the cd input so, yes, it was that.

Glad someone knows what im doing!!!

Cheers.