AVP700/P1000 Spec List

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Crustyloafer, Feb 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Below is a spec list for the upcoming DiVa range AVP700 processor and P1000 7 channel power amp. If John Dawson or anybody else at Arcam has any objections to this then please let me know but I think now that the existence of these products is pretty widely known it can't do any harm in letting the Arcam enthusiasts on this forum know a bit more.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Arcam AVP700 Introduction

Having established itself as a leader in high performance AV products, Arcam has been delighted with customer reaction to the AVR300 and AVR250 receiver models introduced in 2004. To build on this success its designers were briefed to push the performance envelope even further. It came as no surprise that, as in high-end stereo audio systems, the sonic improvements from separating the pre-amp processor and power amplifier sections into separate units yielded big gains in clarity, neutrality and dynamics. In addition, a well-designed processor / power amplifier combination offers improvements in electromagnetic performance and current delivery, allowing an even more realistic and enveloping sound full of cinematic drama and musical passion.
    The AVP700 builds on Arcam’s impressive history and together with its natural partner, the new P1000 power amp, allows a truly spectacular multichannel sound system to be created. Drawing heavily on the design work of the world-renowned FMJ AV8 processor, the AVP700 offers the intensive feature set demanded by AV enthusiasts and custom installers alike. Video format up-conversion, HDMI digital video switching and full duplexRS232 allow the AVP700 to simplify typical home systems and integrate into the most complex installs. World-class audio processing within the AVP700 delivers a sound quality that with enthral even the most discerning listeners regardless of the source material or decoding mode required.

• Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS 24/96 & Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoding
    • 2-way HDMI switching
    • balanced audio outputs
    • HDTV compatible component / RGB switching
    • Composite and S-video up conversion to component or RGB
    • 2nd zone output with audio and video
    • 2-way RS232 control port
    • RDS tuner on board
    • Audiophile sound quality for movies and music

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    AVP700 Home Cinema Processor - Technical Specifications

Analogue Audio

• Audiophile quality components for best sound quality, including 1% metal film resistors, polypropylene film capacitors, OSCON electrolytic capacitors & double sided, through-plated fibreglass circuit boards
    • Balanced & Unbalanced pre amp outputs for all 7 channels and subwoofer
    • Multi-channel 7.1 analogue input for DVD-A or SACD sources
    • Stereo direct switch bypasses and disables all digital processing for 2 channel analogue sources
    • 7 stereo analogue inputs (plus tuner); 3 tape outputs (one a tape loop)
    • Zone 2 stereo audio, from stereo analogue inputs or internal tuner. Source and volume control independent from main outputs
    • Built in FM/AM RDS stereo tuner with 30 FM and 16 AM presets

Digital Audio

• State of the art Crystal Semiconductors CS49400 DSP, with 24-bit fixed point double precision Dolby Digital and DTS decoding and 32-bit fixed point double precision bass management. 4 layer PCBs
    • Wolfson Microelectronics 24-bit 192kHz DACs, stereo ADC and precision electronic volume controls
    • Decodes Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx (including full music mode support), DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo 6
    • 6 Arcam-optimised surround effects modes for 2 channel sources
    • Adjustable crossover switching from 40 – 130 Hz in 10 Hz steps
    • Separate sub woofer level settings for film and stereo listening
    • Bass and treble equalizers, both global and for each of 7 main channels
    • 6 fully assignable digital inputs, 3 co-axial, 3 optical; 1 coaxial & 1 optical output
    • Assignable global audio delay, adjustable from 0 – 220 milliseconds, to compensate for video processing delays in digital displays or DVD players

Video

• 2-way HDMI switching, HDCP compatible
    • 5 composite and 5 S-video inputs; 3 fully buffered outputs of each type
    • 3x HDTV compatible component video inputs and 1 monitor output (these may alternatively be configured to support RGB, with sync on composite video, for use in European TV systems
    • Video up conversion – composite to S-video and vice versa via the monitor outputs; composite and S-video to interlaced component video
    • Video up conversion to RGB with sync on composite (SCART compatible) for European TV displays. 12V triggers support S-video, RGB and widescreen switching for SCART equipped TVs.
    • Composite and S-video inputs assignable to “non video” audio inputs
    • High quality (component / RGB) inputs each assignable to any audio input
    • Zone 2 composite video output, from composite video inputs

Custom Install features

• Independent Zone 2 (audio + video), with fixed/variable volume & parental access control to sources
    • Duplex RS-232 control; also suitable for system software updates
    • RC-5 remote input jacks for both zones
    • IR pass through for source components
    • Full suite of discrete IR RC-5 codes, including separate on / off etc
    • 12 Volt triggers, on/off for zones 1 and 2 and either SCART control (video in RGB mode) or on / off and video signal sensing (component video mode)

General

• Supplied with back-lit CR80 learning remote control with support for up to 7 other components
    • Large, clear 12 character dimmable VFD front panel display
    • Ground lift switch ; User switchable between 120 and 230 Volt mains supplies
    • Size – 430mm wide, 433mm deep, 145mm high

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Arcam P1000 Introduction & Specifications

Arcam’s enviable reputation for high performance AV products has been built over many years. Its engineering expertise, ingenuity and of course experience all come together in its products which are among the best in the world for music and movies. When designing power amplifiers for home cinema there are many conflicting requirements. They must be powerful but run cool. Their sound quality must be consistent from the softest whisper to the loudest explosion. Arcam believes they should also excel with both movies and music. With this in mind, Arcam set about creating the P1000 power amplifier, a perfect match for the new AVP700 AV processor.
    To deliver a clean but dynamic sound field, the P1000 uses seven precisely matched channel modules to ensure consistency of sound from whatever direction it comes. With a rated power of 135wpc into 8 ohms, the P1000 is able to drive and control even the most difficult of speakers and it does this without breaking a sweat! Recognising the need for cool running technology, the P1000 uses an innovative rail switching power amplifier design driven by a huge toroidal transformer based power supply. All components are specified to audiophile tolerances to ensure the world-class sound quality Arcam’s customers have come to expect. A 12-volt control input allows remote power up and down of the amplifier to aid custom installations.

Specifications

• 7-channel 135wpc power amp
    • high current high efficiency design
    • massive toroidal transformer based power supply
    • balanced & unbalanced inputs
    • 12V trigger input
    • multistage protection system
    • audiophile sound quality for movies and music

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    Wow! :eek: Thanks a million Crusty, can't wait to listen to these!

It's a shame as I think these will be at Bristol, but unfortunately I can't go this year :(

6. fritzzz

fritzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice.... but where's the DAB tuner?

7. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm sorry to rain on anyones parade here but it just seems like arcam are only after new customers and are not trying to retain the ones who have already parted with thousands on AV8's. How long is it now that we've been asking for software /hardware upgrades for this unit, only to have nothing offered. This is a real shame from my viewpoit as I am one of many who has put a lot of money into Arcams pockets only to be left out cold now that high def outputs, dolby pro logic IIx are being built and sold as the norm into "lower level" models.

sorry to hijack the thread crusty

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Patience monkeyboy, these things take time. Besides, regardless of how much your kit costs it's inevitable that technology marches on quicker than anyone, and that includes the manufacturers, can ever predict.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    What the hell would you want a DAB tuner for? THe sound quality is terrible, DAB is not a HI-Fi format.

10. fritzzz

fritzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's better than FM, so why only a built-in FM tuner and not both FM and DAB?

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Is DAB set to be the broadcast medium of the future? If so, it ought to be included if FM is to eventually go.

I have no idea on time scales, but I too would have thought DAB should be in there too.

The rest of it looks pretty good.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    It terms of specs, functions, processor, DACS etc this seems to be at least as good if not better than the AV8 ?

Why would anyone now buy an AV8 ? I sense thatan AV9 will be coming out this year.

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    It's a shame the unit doesn't have room correction or i-link.

Or maybe I'm asking too much ;)

14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    What ever made you think that? DAB radio as far as sound quality goes is not even remotely close to a good strong FM signal. It's like comparing the sound of a 128kbps MP3 file to the original CD, and I don't mean that as a general off the cuff statement, most DAB stations are boradcasitng at 128kbps or lower, the only real exception is Radio 3 which occasionally broadcasts at 192kbps and usually at 160kbps. No offence meant, but you should really get the facts right or at least do a demo of a good FM signal versus the same station on DAB and then see what you think.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Room correction would be nice but can you imagine what that would add to the cost if done properly. That's why companies such as TACT Audio have dedicated units for that purpose.

i-Link is an interesting option but not a connection format for the future. With the support that Arcam is already giving HDMI Version 1.1 which handles full bandwidth multi-channel audio as well as digital video why would they want to look at anything else, let alone a niche connection format supported by Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha (Spot the similarity in the home country of these manufacturers) Also bear in mind that HDMI V1.1 has pretty much been decided as the definitive universal connection for audio and video for the short but forseeable future.

16. fritzzz

fritzzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, in The Netherlands (that's where I live) most stations are 160 or 192 kbps and there are plans to improve it. Besides the quality, the Dutch government is planning to shutdown FM as early as 2011 (just 6 years from now). For the Dutch speaking there's a nice article on this subject: http://www.proaudiovisie.nl/downloads/200412dabkwaliteit.pdf

17. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Even DAB broadcasts at 192kbps cannot be compared with a good strong FM signal. As I said earlier it is like comparing MP3s with uncompressed CD audio.

18. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am confused on Arcam's stance re software updates for the AV8. I was assured by key Arcam personnel prior to my purchase before Christmas that the AV8 would see no replacement on a timescale of years rather than months.

I can only speculate that the AV8 has indeed reached its limit of future proofing and that NO further firmware will be available judging by the eerie silence! Unless any of Arcam's personnel want to chime in and reassure those who have invested in their flagship products I can only assume that this is the case.

As posted above, iLink will slowly be replaced by HDMI though HDMI will see several revisions before certain manufacturers adopt it...

Having said all of that, the AV8 is still an awesome processor and realistically takes some sonic beating.

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    True, I heard the Tact T stuff at the Heathrow show and was very impressed. The Meridian G68 has it, but it comes at a huge cost. It is wishful thinking more than anything. Maybe the AV9 will have it…

In your opinion Crusty, do you see i-link being phased out of the higher end Japanese machines in favour of HDMI in the next-gen machines?

20. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The point made about the adoption of HDMI isn't too much to worry about overnight.

Should it kick in tomorrow and you 'had' to have it, then yes ok, sell your AV8 and buy a new one.

However, as the unit sounds just so damn good, it'll serve you well for a long time to come with its current capabilities.

It should be upgradeable, and Arcam would be insane to alienate so many customers if they didn't do it. However, its performance counts for a lot.

I'd expect about the only thing they can do is a trade in deal of some kind for an AV9.

As Rags said, this new kit processor, spec wise, 'seems' the equal of the older FMJ AV8.

That speaks volumes for the future of a possible AV9.

21. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I guess owners of other high end kit are also in the same boat

Tag - uncertainty of future proofing since IAG acquisition

Parasound - owners have been waiting forever for C1/C2 software updates and now Flextronics (the DSP board manufacturer) have ceased development

Naim - closed architecture and again based on Flextronics design

What really counts is the sound, and owners of all these units get a great deal of pleasure from a sound that is a cut way above one box solutions. It has to be acknowledged that this area of the market is not so fiercely competitve as that of Japanese receivers where features sell!!

Having said that PL2x would be lovely Mr D!!

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Guy,

It does seem that way.

A customer walks into an Arcam dealer and is presented with two processors - one or £1500 or so and the other for £3000 and the specs for the cheaper processor are on the surface better. Its a no brainer.

Unless Arcam no longer want to compete in the higher end processor market and are setiing Rotel in their sites and no higher, they have got to release an updated version of the AV8 sharpish.

23. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Yes, definitely, iLink is only a stopgap for those companies who wanted to attract customers earlier by have a 'one cable' solution for multi-channel audio. I doubt that it will ever become a mainstream connection when HDMI can do all that and more and has pretty much been universally accepted by most manufacturers as THE future connection.

24. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I knew about Flextronics, from Finland I believe.

They have ceased development? So no more harware revisions like Naim did with a newer pic chip to allow a change in software and operational functionality?

I believe Flextronics are in quite a few more manufacturers units too, so I'd exect to see a flurry of new kit appear with somebody elses OEM DSP board.

Naim will take about 10 years though for that. :(

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    BTW, I know it's early Monday morning, but you guys can't get away with as much time off as me. Get busy.:)

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Re Parasound they are still claiming that a software update with PLIIX etc is coming out by the end of the month. Its certainly been dragging on for a bit now. They also claim to have hardware upgrades in development but with all these companies who the hell really knows.

For those people whose processors use a Flextronics based solution its not all doom and gloom. I think they have sold on the AV side via an MBO so its existing staff.

27. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Took me a moment, but you meant '.....to its existing staff.....'?

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Yup - its called Vincilabs -

http://www.vincilabs.com/

The new Titan platform has some cracking features. I can see a lot of companies using this going forward.

29. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be right to say that the AV8 THX Ultra 2 certification partly explains why the AVP700 would sell at a lower price than the AV8?

30. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Good point David,

Until the new Diva pre/pro gets out into the wild I think we could go potty with all this speculation.

Things to note about the current flagship products:

AV8

Switch mode power supply
    THX Ultra 2 certified
    Dual DSP - may still be a better solution than the newer CS494003
    Audiophile pre amplifier
    Broadcast quality video subsection

P7

Dual 1.5KVA transformers
    Modular constrution with each module having own power rectification
    THX Ultra 2 certified

I am hoping that one of the Arcam chaps can give us an update regarding the AV8 firmware bringing PL2x and whatever else is being addressed/updated.

Other than that, I can only see RoomEQ being the only MAJOR feature lacking through software. The handling of HDMI would obviously require a hardware change and until the specification has matured to allow SACD (2.0) etc then I can't see it being implemented any time soon. AFAIK the AV700 only has HDMI switching unless anyone knows different.

I wonder if at anytime the main DSP board could be swapped out for an upgraded design? The AV8 was touted as having a modular construction and the "brains of the outfit" would seem the logical step.