1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVP700 HDMI Switching problem

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by PMP, Aug 26, 2005.

1. PMP

PMP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I have just invested in the new AVP700 processor, but i have some problems with the HDMI swicthing functionality.

When I connect my DVD directly to my monitor, HDMI works perfectly, but using the HDMI switch in the AVP700 the picture is breaking up with larger periods without any signal through to my monitor.
    Is this a known problem and/ or is there a software fix for this?

BTW how do I check the firmware version?

PMP

2. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    90% of the time this problem is caused by loose connectors or bad cables. First check that the connectors are snug. If the problem persists I would then try a different cable.

3. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, first post here a AV. I have a new AVP700 that I am having HDMI issues with as well. I am running a Panasonic DVD-S97 & a Dish DVR-942 into the Arcam. The only way the switching works on the Arcam is with a hard reboot of the Dish 942. If the DVD is selected, the Arcam put in standby (or powered down), the sat is gone (until a hard reboot). Any ideas? My display device is an Optoma H78DC3. :lease:

4. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may have spoken too soon up above. I installed my hdmi connections tonight into my avp700 also from a panasonic s-97 and a SA-3250HD cable box and input into a Sim2 HT300e. No problem watching TV but when I switched to my dvd player all I got was a blank screen on the projector and was unable to get any projector menus . Like your experience I required a hard reboot of the projector. This incident is too similar to yours Patrick to be just a coincidence. After rebooting the projector and letting it cool I went through the same steps again with the same results. Just guessing but it seems the switch is not completely breaking the circuit and the old code is causing the newly switched device to malfunction. Disconcerting to say the least.

5. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not my PJ that needs the hard reboot, it's the Dish 942 DVR sat box. I'm still able to tell the Arcam to go to HDMI 1 (DVD) and it will show up. It seems like an HDCP Handshake issue to me. These are never resolved quickly.

6. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to test tonight whether going from the dvd input to the hd box causes a reboot as well. Either way looks it like there's a problem. Do you think it's fixable by firmware upgrade or are we into a hardware issue?

7. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure. What I do know is this. My Pioneer PDP-5050HD Plasma has a media box that also has 2 HDMI inputs. The Pioneer has never even hiccuped with anything. That is leading me to believe that the problem is resting squarely on the shoulders of the processor. Once I take it out of the equation (direct connection), everything is normal. Hopefully a firmware fix (soon) will fix it. Maybe there already is one. I have a launch unit with the original FW.

8. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine came with v3.29 so I doubt it is version related. My projector has never had a problem either. Did you see an hdcp error message from the Dish DVR-942? I found it unusual that I couldn't call up any Sim menus until after the hard reboot which is leading me to believe alot of garbled code was being fed into the projector (and dvr-942) causing the malfunction. I am going to alert my dealer this morning about the problem.

9. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to alert mine as well. I PM'd Andy Dutton from Arcam this thread link as well. Hopefully he can offer some insight. This product has the unique opportunity to flat out dominate it's market segment, especially with Anthems latest future upgrade. The HDMI switching is the 2nd reason I (and many others) bought the 700, SQ was the first. Needless to say, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

EDIT

I'm going to go & grab another cable right now, but am not hopeful. I'll also bring up my Pioneer HDMI DVD. Maybe we can get this narrowed down. I'll be back.

10. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried new cables last night and no luck. Just spoke to the main Canadian distributor to report the problem who will also be calling Arcam about it. I emailed him this link. It will be interesting to see how good the Arcam service really is with this new product.

11. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I can only imagine that it's the same problem I had with my Denon equipment. My DVD player had an old firmware which only supported HDMI1.0 whereas the amp and screen supports HDMI1.1. The old HDMI version does not allow HDMI switching and the HDCP kicks in, i.e. it only works when directly connected to a screen. I'm sure the Arcam is 1.1, so check your player's firmware and upgrade if possible.

12. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDMI is not 1.1 on the Arcam to my knowledge. 1.1 can pass 5.1 Audio. My Panasonic DVD-S97 is 1.1, and the Pioneer Elite DVD is 1.0. Not sure on the Dish 942.

13. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Arcam is 1.0. If indeed it is HDCP kicking in then the only cumbersome way to get switching is to shut off the old input source first, and possibly the Arcam. Odd that I am not seeing the HDCP message flag come up and it is disrupting the menus on my Sim. Not as convenient a feature if that is the case and lowers its usefulness as an avp. Surely their must be a fix for it.

I note that the Pioneer Elite 56TXVi had this same issue shortly after its release and resolved it rather quickly.

14. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here is some new info. I tried 3 different HDMI cables to no avail. I also brought my Pioneer DV59AVI up to the HT to try. I fired up the DVD-S97 & the Pioneer at the same time. The switching on the Arcam worked exactly as advertised with the DVD players. HDMI 1.0 (Pioneer) or 1.1 (Panny) was not an issue.

15. PMP

PMP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

just to let you know that I still have my switching problem as well. I have tried several cables with no luck. My DVD (Thoshiba D350) works perfectly with direct connection to my plasma, but unfortunatly not using when HDMI.

It would be Nice if Arcam would comment on this.

BR

PMP

16. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

We are investigating the problem, I don't have any definative answers yet, I will let you know what we find out.

Regards,
    Andrew

17. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks for the reply Andy

18. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is reassuring to see how quickly Arcam and its distributors (in my case Emerald Audio in Canada) have responded to this problem. Great service so far. :thumbsup:

19. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, they are going to get this taken care of. Good company.

20. Redjay

Redjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I tried to order the combo today and was informed that there was a 3 to 4 week delay because there is a problem with both of the items. I would much rather wait and have them both bug free! And we thought that they were slow in releasing them!

21. PMP

PMP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any news regarding this issue?

PMP

22. Patrick TX

Patrick TX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question.

23. tschinker

tschinker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We just had a surge in our house and I didn't have a surge projector on my Sim2. I can't get it to turn on. Is there a reset button or technique I can use to get it going again? Any advice is appreciated.

24. Redjay

Redjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Has anybody any more news on this hdmi switching problem as i am due to get my avp700 in 2 weeks and do not want to set it all up just to return it when the hdmi problem surfaces! thanks for any help!

25. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I am having some issues.

I have a DV29 conected via HDMI to my pj and Sky (SAT SVideo input) via component output.

My SAT picture has a green wash over it and is distorted. My display Sony HS60 PJ states "Frequency out of range" and sometimes locks itself up. If I go into the AVP700 setup menu and deselect YUV (select RGB) and then back again the problem seems to resolve itself. For a short while anyway :rolleyes:

I wonder if it a problem with the AVP700's ability to hold and lock its YUV output?

Any ideas? :)