AVP700 - HDMI sparkles & flicker

AccuView

Standard Member
Hi folks,

I just picked up a AVP700/P1000 combo this past weekend and have been busy setting everything up. Needless to say, the sound quality was a huge improvement over my 8-year old Sony ES receiver driving my new Focal Profile 918s.

I did run across a small issue though. I have the HDMI outs from the HD cable box and PS3 connected to HDMI input on the AVP700. The HDMI out from AVP700 goes to my Pioneer 6010. The picture quality from cable continues to be good as before but that from the PS3 now shows sparkles and occasional flicker. Any ideas?

Cheers!

P.S. - The firmware version shows 3.44.

Hessellund

Novice Member
I know that there has been some previus problems with PS3, HDMI and its content protection protocol. This was however on Samsung screen (if I remember correctly). It resultet in screen blackouts on some games...

Perhaps its the same issue here?

/Michael

BTW. Never used the HDMI on my AVP700

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
AFAIK, the HDMI in the AVP700 is just a switch, so it should not be introducing any artefacts. How long are the HDMI cables? Are you using category 2 cabling (aka "high speed")?

Bails

Novice Member
I once had sparkles from a DVI connection. It drove me nuts trying to work it out. Eventually I had a good look at the DVI cable I was using and noticed one of the pins was bent. I tried another cable and it worked perfectly. HDMI is off course different - not big pins to bend, for starters - but do you have another cable lying around you could try? It's probably worth a shot.

spl23

Try swapping the cables between the PS3 and the cable box, and see if the sparklies move to the other source. If so, it looks as if you have a duff cable or plug.

ranide

Standard Member
I had exactly the same problems using a high quality dvi cable with hdmi adapters on both ends.

AccuView

Standard Member
Before I got the AVP700, I have only two HDMI cables - one connecting cable box to the TV and the other connecting the PS3 to the TV. After I got the AVP700, I hooked one up from AVP700's HDMI out to the TV. Since I was one cable short, I used the other one to hook up the source (cable or PS3) to the AVP700's HDMI in. So if I need to change the source, I have to change the HDMI connections too. The third HDMI cable should be here in 1-2 days and I will have a permanent connection.

There are no issues when the HDMI cables are connected directly from the source to the display bypassing the AVP700. Additionally, there are no sparkles when the same cable is connected from the cable box to the AVP700. It only happens when the PS3 is connected to the AVP700.

This leads me to believe that the cables should be fine. I will still swap the cables to see it it helps. The cable is 3 ft long.

Could the resolution be a factor? The cable box puts out 1080i whereas the PS3 puts out 1080P. I believe the answer is no because, as mentioned above, AVP700 is just an HDMI switcher. Any other ideas?

spl23

Could the resolution be a factor? The cable box puts out 1080i whereas the PS3 puts out 1080P.
1080p has twice the data rate of 1080i - if your cables are not capable of high speed HDMI, this could well be the problem.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
In order to exclude cabling, it is important that you answer both of my questions.

How long are the HDMI cables? We need the total length. HDMI cabling should not exceed 10m.

Are you using category 2 cabling (aka "high speed")? Category 1 cable is not specified for the speeds needed to carry 1080p. There is also the possibility that your cabling is inadequately shielded, although if it's certified category 2 cable, this is unlikely.

AccuView

Standard Member
In order to exclude cabling, it is important that you answer both of my questions.

How long are the HDMI cables? We need the total length. HDMI cabling should not exceed 10m.

Are you using category 2 cabling (aka "high speed")? Category 1 cable is not specified for the speeds needed to carry 1080p. There is also the possibility that your cabling is inadequately shielded, although if it's certified category 2 cable, this is unlikely.
One cable is 6 ft and the other is 3 ft so a total of 9 ft.

Both cables are high speed. I even got a new cable and the same thing happened.

I was able to narrow it down further. The sparkles only show up when a regular DVD (i.e. non Blu-Ray) is played on the PS3 and the PS3 upconverts it. Or when a CD is played on the PS3 and the graphical player is on the screen. When a Blu-Ray DVD is played, there are no sparkles.

Of course, when the HDMI cables are connected directly to the TV in the above conditions, the picture is as perfect as ever.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom