AvP film clips (very promising)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Sick Note, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Anyone worried about this film should check these 2 clips here .
    All looks quite promising to me :thumbsup:

2. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes it looks good, but, we could be seeing what i call 'best bits trailer', there are far too many films where the best bits are in the trailer (just teaser bits) and then falls flat in the film.

i realise these are not trailers, but Paul Anderson is a s**t director, and he has completely basterdised the story (by setting it on earth ( post or pre the alien films) he has completely puked over the alien films and the point of even going to space to find the alien, and thus the tension created by the characters survival and the companies greed seems pointless.

And also we had perfectly good stories in the AvP comic book series which he could have used and perhaps set up the tone for an earth war in future films, but no, his way seems to have made any future setting for an alien earth war pointless if they were alaready here.
    Im sure resident evil looked good in clips, as did Soldier, but i've attempted four times to see RE (don't ask, just always on) and have not got past 35 mins. And Soldier is just complete pants ( iwatched because of the Blade Runner ref's) I wouldn't start dancing in the streets just yet.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Actually im revising my opinion, the second clip on second view (alien/predator fight) looks like a wrestling match, im expecting The Rock to join in any minute, does not seem to be a film based on tension, not looking good to me.

I hope im wrong.

4. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well maybe it´s just me mate hoping and praying for the best and trying to be possitive.
    Just can´t bear the thought of two of my fav franchises being ruined so i will give Anderson the benefiit of the doubt till I´ve seen it

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    To me some of the proper trailers looked better. After seeing these clips its begining to look like a joke!

How is it when u watch Alien/Aliens its hardcore reality

When u watch Preditor its hardcore reality

Put them both together and im just laughing with tears in my eyes at how these two classic creatures are being portrade. It's a real shame.

This film looks like its going the same way as Alien4

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Bad news people, looks like this film is going the way of mr andersons other duds - it seems ALL reviews are scathing and can offer no positive aspect to this project, a shame as it seems that this one film will kill off TWO decent franchises, Still, look on the bright side, after you and the kids have watched the 'kiddified' thunderbirds at your local fleapit, you can now take them to watch the new, diluted kid friendly alien/predator crossover!

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    I dont know about other people but I like to watch a film first and then decide whether it was good or bad, everyone has different tastes in movies and just because some reviewers hate it, it doesnt mean you personally will so I will still go and see it even if every review is terrible which they arent, I have read some good reviews from people who went and saw midnight showings.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,897
    When's this film out?

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    October 22nd in the UK

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Spot on there my man. It was very WWE. half expected the Predator to go at him with a folding chair.

Shame really as the initial trailers looked quite promising. What we want is a frenzied hack fest and acid bath frenzy that would have aliens sliced and diced and then predators melting from the acid outpourings.

I must say the fight sequence looked pretty lame.

CL

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to always play the RottenTomatoes card, but any film can get a glowing review or one that tears it apart. An average of reviews is generally a good bet as to how good a film is. (with some exceptions)

That being said... 13% on Rotten Tomatoes!!!

And after reading some of the reviews from AICN, this one looks like a proper stinker. Aliens will probably walk away from this unscathed, but I wouldn't be surprised if this kills the Predator film franchise. (although you could argue that it's already dead)

12. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    It just begs the question, how hard is it to make a half decent movie?

Im pretty sure I could do twice as good with half the money.

13. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I don't let others make my opinion for me on movies. I saw it today and I liked it a lot. I'm not a die-hard fan of either Alien or Predator so I don't care about petty inaccuracies. There plot was very simple (not necessary a bad thing). The only gripes I have is at 87 minutes it was way too short. Still, it had aliens, and it had predators, and it had lots of fighting. :D I'd give it a 7/10.

No.

14. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  15. Geezer4

Geezer4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why on earth can't they have the same release date worldwide?

I hate getting all the previews of others that have seen movies before I've had a chance to make up my own mind.

Although I try not to make my mind up before I've seen the film it's difficult not to let other peoples comments effect my own.

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    I thought they wanted to reduce piracy, having release dates that are a few months apart cant do anything but increase piracy lol

As for whether the film is any good or not, I am seriously starting to have doubts about it, at first it sounded pretty good and the book was a good story but from what people have said it sounds like Fox have done an Alien3 again and hacked it up themselfs and have cut out some good plot scenes. Here's hoping they release a Special Edition on DVD like with Alien3 where you have the choice of either the Theatrical release or a longer Cut.

17. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    I try not to let it cloud my judgement too but only 18% from all those who voted (75 reviews) doesn't bode well. It'll still be bought and added to my collection but I would've liked it to be a classic which doesn't look to be the case anymore :( I still feel that this type of movie are being diluted somewhat to get a lower rating and up the potential ticket sales all the younger audience members comand.

18. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
  19. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    Well in Canada it was always going to be either a PG or an R and as it was ment to be a PG-13 in the US they couldnt give it an R in Canada so had to go with PG, over here it could have been either a 12, 12A or 15 and they choose 15, the rating system is a strange thing, Terminator 3 was rated R in the US but got a 12A over here and Starship Troopers was rating 15 in the cinema but went upto 18 when it was released on VHS, no new scenes were present yet they still upped the age by 3 years.

The only thing positive about the 15 rating is what I said earlier, there will be less younger kids in the audience unlike in the US where anyone no matter their age can see it.

21. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Canada" doesn't classify movies. Provinces do. Ontario has AA, PG, 14A, 18A, and R.

Return of the King, for example, got a 14A. AvP got a PG, not a 14A.

22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    I have no idea then, I never understood how other countries ratings systems really worked, over here if its rated 18 you have to be 18 or over to see it but in the US they will rate the same film as an R and as long as you go with an adult it doesnt matter what age you are, you can see the film.

I very much doubt though that a UK PG rating would come anywhere near to covering this movie and I expected it to get a 12A since I heard about the PG-13 rating in the US but the BBFC have decided to give it a 15 and they must have their reasons.

23. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't hard...

United States:

G - general, for all ages
    PG - parental guidance suggested
    PG-13 - inappropiate for children under 13
    R - inappropiate for children under 17

NC-17 - no one 17 and under admitted

Ontario:

G - all
    PG - parental guidance
    14A - inappropiate for those under 14
    18A - inappropiate for those under 18
    R - under 18 not allowed in

In the case of AVP, PG is probably too low, but 14A is a bit excessive. There were NO nudity, NO bad language except one word, and NO sexual scenese. There were some violence, but it wasn't very gory.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    Thanks for listing them, interesting to see them compared to each other. Also, when I said I didnt understand how other countries rating systems work, I ment in relation to ours. Are we behind the times over here by not allowing 12 year olds see what would normally be 18 rated films just because they dont have an adult with them like they can in the US, should parents be the ones that decide whether or not their child should be allowed to watch a certain film and not the BBFC? Wouldnt mind some feedback on this.

25. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well I don´t care about the negative reviews. I always wait to see a movie before judging it.
    I have just seen AvP and although a little short I enjoyed it from start to finish. Good entertainment, which is what I go to the cinema for in the first place :thumbsup:
    Found myself totally rooting for the Predators the whole time.

My advice is if you like either of these two fantastic movie franchises go see this one then make your mind up. Personally after reading all the negative things about it I went expecting to see a real turkey and came out being pleasantly surprised

26. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep in mind that these reviews aren't totalled on whether it's a great film or not, merely whether it's positive or negative. That means, a 5.5/10 film will still get a "fresh" rating even though it's not that good. That means 85% of the reviews (as of Aug. 19) thought there was more bad in there than good. Not at all encouraging.

But, reviews are incredibly subjective, and it's best to find a reviewer who likes the same films that you do. Then, if he/she likes a film, it's a good bet that you do too.

27. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Watched a bit of this last night and wasnt very impressed which is a shame as I was looking forward to this :(

28. LaTiNo

LaTiNo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to see it since I heard there was a AvP script a few years ago. I hope it won't dissapoint me too much!

29. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Oh dear, doesnt look too good does it!

I personally never had high hopes, although the optimist in me was thinking 'How can anyone mess this film up, with 2 of the greatest Sci-fi creatures on film...?' looks like he has!

No doubt i'll see it anyway, as will many others, thus resulting in Big Box Office and another Film for Anderson to ruin... :(

I particularly liked this quote from the reviews.....

"Anderson has a thing for gamelike killing sprees. What he doesn't have is talent."
    -- Roger Moore, ORLANDO SENTINEL :laugh:

Cheers Rob

30. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,125
    According to an interview with Anderson the film has been cut quite abit by Fox in order to get the rating and running time down to what it is now. Last time they did something like this was to a little film called Alien3 and if you have seen the workprint of Alien3 you will agree it does make a better movie, hopefully the same will be true for Alien vs Predator when its released on DVD but knowing Fox it will be the theatrical release first, then a Directors Cut, then a new Alien/Predator Boxset with new exclusive extras lol