AVP-700 with 7.1 system fed by 5.1 analog cables

mjt5282

Standard Member
I have a AVP-700, 7.1 speaker system with subwoofer, and a DVD Audio player with 5.1 analog cables.

How do most people solve the problem of feeding 5.1 analog DVD-Audio/SACD output into a 7.1 speaker system?

Obviously, you can't apply Dolby PLX-II on the analog input. Would it be "wrong" to put "Y" cable from the DVD audio and split the signal to the surround rear and surround L/R ?

Assuming you don't use Y cables, should the 5.1 feed the surround L/R or the surround rears ?

gpa

Banned
I have a AVP-700, 7.1 speaker system with subwoofer, and a DVD Audio player with 5.1 analog cables.

How do most people solve the problem of feeding 5.1 analog DVD-Audio/SACD output into a 7.1 speaker system?

Obviously, you can't apply Dolby PLX-II on the analog input. Would it be "wrong" to put "Y" cable from the DVD audio and split the signal to the surround rear and surround L/R ?

Assuming you don't use Y cables, should the 5.1 feed the surround L/R or the surround rears ?
surround left and right:smashin:

arctor

Standard Member
In the IAR review for the AVR300 (a total over the top review where the AVR300 was the answer :) ) the review made a good point about putting the DVD Audio surround plugs intot he rear surround socket.

His point was that in a typical room the L/R Surround tend to be arround 90 degress to the listener where as the Rear Surrounds tends to be around 150 degress. I believe he stated that 135 degress is the target and that the rear one are closer to the chosen angle.

From my way of thinking it seemed to me that if you compared the rear surround positions and the L/R Surround positions of a 7.1 speaker system you would find that the rear surround is nearer to the place you would put a surround speakers in a 5.1 system

Of course it all depends on you room as well :)

mjt5282

Standard Member
thanks, i have the 5.1 dvda/sacd inputs feeding surround L/R. In my room, I think it works the best (my room is a little oddly shaped).

I'd like to be able to hear the new lossless audio codecs on my Arcam - I suppose I'll have to buy a BD or HD DVD that has analog outs. anybody done that yet?

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom