AVP-700 Component Output problems

DelboyWR450

Established Member
Reaction score
I have tried connecting my AVP 700 using component outputs to my Pioneer 507XD screen and the picture just comes out grey and grainy. It is like having no output on the red and blue outputs, in fact if I disconnect the red and blue outputs it makes no diferrence. I am using S-VHS input to test as I have no device with component output, but the processor is supposed to upscale any of the analogue inputs to component. Has anyone seen this before? I have set the AVP700 to output Component as YUV and the Pioneer is set to accept YUV input, I am fresh out of ideas. I am sure I've missed something here as I can't have 2 dead cores on the component lead either :( Thanks

I am using S-VHS input

Sorry to be pedantic, but S-VHS is a type of videotape, not a video interface. What you are referring to is called S-Video.

I have set the AVP700 to output Component as YUV and the Pioneer is set to accept YUV input, I am fresh out of ideas. I am sure I've missed something here as I can't have 2 dead cores on the component lead either :( Thanks

1. Is your source device configured to output an S-Video signal?

2. Does your source selection on the AVP700 match the assigned input which your have your S-Vido source plugged into?

3. Can you get the AVP700's setup menu onscreen by pressing and holding the 'Menu' button on the remote?

4. What is source source device and exactly what type of cable are you using to connect it to the S-Video inputs on the AVP700?

I can't have 2 dead cores on the component lead either :( Thanks

Yes you can. If there is anything I have learned being in this business, it is that anything is possible, especially if it stops things working properly.

I have tried connecting my AVP 700 using component outputs to my Pioneer 507XD screen and the picture just comes out grey and grainy. It is like having no output on the red and blue outputs, in fact if I disconnect the red and blue outputs it makes no diferrence. I am using S-VHS input to test as I have no device with component output, but the processor is supposed to upscale any of the analogue inputs to component. Has anyone seen this before? I have set the AVP700 to output Component as YUV and the Pioneer is set to accept YUV input, I am fresh out of ideas. I am sure I've missed something here as I can't have 2 dead cores on the component lead either :( Thanks

Component to S-Video is only compatible an the black-and white (luminance) signal, which is why you get no colours. You need three cables to go between your two devices. On the Pioneer the S-Video input is physically separate from the component input.

Tony

Component to S-Video is only compatible an the black-and white (luminance) signal, which is why you get no colours. You need three cables to go between your two devices. On the Pioneer the S-Video input is physically separate from the component input.

Tony

I think you have misread the OP. He is feeding an S-Video signal into the AVP700 via the S-Video input. He is then taking a component video feed out of the Component Video Monitor Out sockets son the AVP700. The AVP700 does have the ability to convert incoming S-Video Signals and output them as Component Video signals.

Apologies for my terminology, it is an S-Video connector I used and tested on my screen OK.
I connected the S-video to the vcr input and selected the vcr input on the front panel. Do I need to set up anything extra? I thought that if I plugged the connector into the input and selected the input from the front that would be enough. I thought I would just need to set up the component output type. It must be doing something as I do get the grainy picture. Have I missed something? I tried a couple of the other inputs aswell but no diferrent results, just the same grainy picture.

What is your source device, be precise please?

Exactly what type of cable are you using to connect your source device to the S-Video input, ie is it an S-Video to S-Video cable, Scart to S-Video cable?

Have you tried any other S-Video sources into the AVP700, this will help to figure out whether it is an issue with the source device or the AVP700?

Are your component cables damaged?

:D Hey guys.
I took the cable and processor into my local Sevenoaks and they helped me figure out the problem. Firstly they checked the cable and that was OK. We then tried their inputs and it worked OK. This led me to believe that the problem had to be with my Satellite and Hitachi PVR I was using. I got home tonight and checked the PVR and set the video output on it to S-Video, I thought that it outputted on all outputs, but alas not:rolleyes:. So that sorted that problem. The sky box is still the same, I toggle between Pal or RGB but have no joy with that, so it's just like it's not compatable with the Arcam box, as it works OK when connected directly to the TV:confused: I suppose this is why I originally thought the problem was tied up in the Arcam box somewhere. I have now bought a DV79 to go with the rest of the kit and on HDMI the picture colours appears inverted, so that must be in the settings somewhere in the DVD player:rolleyes:
If anyone has any ideas to help the Sky box along that would be great, or maybe it's just a ploy to help me go for SkyHD!!
I'm off to see if I can get into the DVD setup with the AVP remote as they didn't have the remote in the shop.
Thanks so far for all your help

DVD player could be set to YUV instead of RGB.

You have mentioned how you are connecting Sky to the system. Bear in mind Sky does not have a component output.... you will need to employ the use of an RGB to YUV converter to do this.

I have been playing some more and fixed the DVD player, that was in the settings on the DV79, I had to force it to HDMI/DVI and it was all OK and is giving a great picture. I set the Hitachi PVR to output it's video to s-video and that works great now as it was previously set to RGB when it was connected straight to the screen, the AVP700 upconverts it to component OK. The only issue I have left remaining is the SKY box, I have set it to output to PAL and then tried connecting a scart to S-VHS converter to it and connecting it to a s-vhs input on the AVP700 but the AVP700 won't upconvert the Sky box. If I use the composite output from the AVP700 it works fine. So it's the last piece of the jigsaw to solve. Have I missed something?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only issue I have left remaining is the SKY box, I have set it to output to PAL and then tried connecting a scart to S-VHS converter to it and connecting it to a s-vhs input on the AVP700 but the AVP700 won't upconvert the Sky box. If I use the composite output from the AVP700 it works fine. So it's the last piece of the jigsaw to solve. Have I missed something?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes you have missed something. The Sky box will only output RGB or Composite, not S-Video. The S-VIDEO :lesson: cable or adapter you are using will only output an S-Video signal if the source device is sending an S-Video signal from it's scart output.

In order to get the best picture quality I would recommend using an RGB to Component Converter such as the QED QCV which is about £75. You can then run a component cable from this to the component inputs on your AVP700.

Alternatively you can get just basic composite video from it by using Scart to Composite Cable or a Scart to Composite Adapter. The adapter you are already using may already have a composite video output on it (it's a yellow RCA socket). You can then run this into one of the composite video inputs on the AVP700 which will then upconvert it to component. This will result in a fairly soft looking picture.

Thank-you Crustyloafer. I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm.
Now it's time to program the Nevo remote to simplify my activities;):):clap:

Thank-you Crustyloafer. I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm.
Now it's time to program the Nevo remote to simplify my activities;):):clap:

I am a trained and qualified Nevo programmer if you need any help. That said, the dealer that sold it to you should be taking care of that.

Thanks for the offer Crustyloafer. I found the Nevo relatively logical to play with my old setup, hopefully the Arcam kit shouldn't cause much bother:rolleyes::) I'll cetainly hope it goes OK. Watch this space - or the remote control forum!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom