Avp-700 By-pass Mode

J

Jack Dotson

I'm curious if anyone knows the design of the by-pass mode. Curious what type of volume control is used, etc. I'm thinking about a stand alone two channel pre-amp and was curious about the Arcam build design, but can't find much on it.

Exirion

I'm curious if anyone knows the design of the by-pass mode. Curious what type of volume control is used, etc. I'm thinking about a stand alone two channel pre-amp and was curious about the Arcam build design, but can't find much on it.
They use the Wolfson WM8770 multi-channel ADC/DAC/volumecontrol. You can find specs on the Wolfson website. Internally this chip uses a resistor bank for volume control, so it is a rather high quality solution. The AVP700 definately sounds very good, but a simple volume control between your CD player and amp might sound better ;)

J

Jack Dotson

They use the Wolfson WM8770 multi-channel ADC/DAC/volumecontrol. You can find specs on the Wolfson website. Internally this chip uses a resistor bank for volume control, so it is a rather high quality solution. The AVP700 definately sounds very good, but a simple volume control between your CD player and amp might sound better ;)
Thanks for the info. I've noticed a few issues with the volume control on my unit. it doesn't go down all the way to zero, it stays at seven. It's dead quiet when turned down so not an issue, but quirky none the less. Also, there are stages where the volume control and level controls seem to have little effect and seem to flatten out.

I cannot get mine to acheive 76dB with the internal test signal. Also, when mine goes from 78 to 79 there is a pretty steep jump in volume. Only happens between these two settings.

Once again, it works and I can easily get the volume levels I need, but quirky.

Any of you have these issues? Are these characteristics of this type of volume controls?

I'm seriously considering a dedicated pre-amp (Belles, Odyssey, etc.) with HT pass through for my two channel audio and using the AVP-700 for HT. Don't know how much of an improvement there will be, but I'm curious to see.

Exirion

Well, let me just say that the AVR/AVP devices are not flawless :D Anyway, my AVP700 was replaced and the new one goes down to 0dB whereas the previous one got stuck at 3dB. Might be a software thing, and updating the firmware to 3.39 then probably fixes it.

J

Jack Dotson

Well, let me just say that the AVR/AVP devices are not flawless :D Anyway, my AVP700 was replaced and the new one goes down to 0dB whereas the previous one got stuck at 3dB. Might be a software thing, and updating the firmware to 3.39 then probably fixes it.
I've been away from the forum for awhile so I'm just starting to catch up. I didn't even realize how many fixes and firmware updates there were. I've emailed my dealer (which is over 150 miles away) and I get the impression he doesn't know much about firmware upgrades.

I think I'm going to write to Arcam and see what I have to do to get the needed files and download instructions to do it myself. I've read some of the fixes these updates provide and it would be nice to get this quirks fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom