AVP 700 bass management

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jakeman, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent some time experimenting with the BM settings on this processor , there are several things I like about it and others I find deficient. The stereo setting feature in "woofer" comes to mind as a very desirable feature where the user has large, large + sub, and sub + sat depending on where he wants re-directed bass. Where I have a concern is with HT. I suspect setting the crossover to low levels, say 40hz ,also has the effect of filtering LFE above 40hz so it is effectively lost. Is there any setting which allows me to preserve LFE to the sub AND redirect bass from my other speakers at the crossover point? If there is not I will likely connect a second sub directly to my dvd player in order to preserve LFE.

2. cpd

cpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty certain that the cross-over point only affects the speakers that you have set to SMALL. In other words, don't worry about losing anything above your cross-over for LFE or large l/r speakers.

Chris

3. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope that is the case though there is no indication that the full LFE signal is getting through. I read the manual again but could find no detail about LFE signal. If I crossed higher up say at 80hz is would not be so much of a concern but I find 40hz blends much better with my full extension mains. Though difficult to discern from listening it sounds like some LFE (above the crossover point) may be lost. I will test for this tonight by disconnecting all other speakers and testing for LFE at various crossover points. Several receivers/processors have this problem and it is dependent of how the DSP chip is coded.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Setting the crossover to 40Hz, or any other frequency for that matter will only redirect frequencies below the selected crossover point to the subwoofer for any speakers that are set to 'small', the LFE channel is not affected. If you have set the subwoofer to 'none' however the crossover will redirect the LFE channel to the speakers which are set to 'large' and will also redirect any frequencies below the crossover point from any speakers set to 'small' to the speakers that are set to 'large'

Connecting a subwoofer directly to the DVD player is not only not necessary but totally impractical as there is no attenuation to the signal and the subwoofer would operate at a constant volume level regardless of how loud the rest of the speakers were running.

5. jakeman

jakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crusty for the further clarification. Many recievers have this LFE filtering at the crossover point and I am relieved that the Arcam processing is more advanced than those inferior processors. Arcam should mention it in the manual as its a positive feature.

Still I am experimenting with the new configuration of running one sub from the player (where I can control volume using the Panasonic s-97 menu as well as the gain control at the sub ). I believe there are some advantages to this setup where one sub is dedicated to redirected bass and the other exclusively to LFE. One of the more important ones is reducing non-linear distortion when music and LFE effects overlap in one sub. Positioning is more challenging but several people have suggested trying this configuration with dual subs. Having both a SW and LFEs out in future Arcam processors would be a neat feature.