AVP-700 96kHz question

Gerritv_be

Standard Member
Reaction score
At the point considering to buy an AVP-700, but would like to have a clear view on the following:
Can the AVP-700 take in 96kHz and run a DSP (like the party) on it on the optical inputs?

Gerritv_be said:
At the point considering to buy an AVP-700, but would like to have a clear view on the following:
Can the AVP-700 take in 96kHz and run a DSP (like the party) on it on the optical inputs?

They post the manual on-line at the Arcam website. Evertything you want to know is there. It's a pretty decent manual.

Jack Dotson said:
They post the manual on-line at the Arcam website. Evertything you want to know is there. It's a pretty decent manual.

Thanks for the reply.
I already checked the manuals. There is an indication that the digital inputs take 44.1 48 and 96, but not that you can run dsp on it.
Even in the manual of the AV9 there is indicated 44.1kHz, 48kHz,
(and 96kHz stereo only) for the digital inputs.

So I was looking for a pratical answer of an AVP-700 owner who actualy can say it wil run dsp on a 96kHz pcm signal.

I am fairly certain you can only run DSP algorithms on analogue input sources.

Just tried this on my AVP700 using Queen's The Game DVD-A which has a 96KHz PCM stereo track. First off, the DVD won't output a 96KHz PCM signal... If I set it to down convert to 48KHz, I get a PCM digital input on the AVP700. You can select the Dolby Prologic and DTS Neo:6 settings to generate surround sound from a stereo PCM stream. It won't however let you select any of the 'effects'.

To do that you need to run a pair of phono leads to an input other than DVD-A. DVD-A will only run in direct mode which bypasses the DSP. Once you're running an analog signal in and have not selected direct mode, then you can access the effects on the DSP.

Ian_S said:
Just tried this on my AVP700 using Queen's The Game DVD-A which has a 96KHz PCM stereo track. First off, the DVD won't output a 96KHz PCM signal... If I set it to down convert to 48KHz, I get a PCM digital input on the AVP700. You can select the Dolby Prologic and DTS Neo:6 settings to generate surround sound from a stereo PCM stream. It won't however let you select any of the 'effects'.

To do that you need to run a pair of phono leads to an input other than DVD-A. DVD-A will only run in direct mode which bypasses the DSP. Once you're running an analog signal in and have not selected direct mode, then you can access the effects on the DSP.

Wow, that is hard to believe that the DSP effects only works on the analog inputs. So you can't run the party dsp on a cd played via digital inputs.
DSP stands for Digital signal processing. So analog is converted to digital to do the processing. So if the input is already digital ... .

The manual categorises the 3 surround modes:
two-channel
multi-channel
dsp-effects
Extract from the manual:
Two-channel audio, regardless of whether it is analogue or digital also can be output in three mix modes, selected using the MODE button:
< Surround (e.g., Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie, Neo:6 Music, etc.)
< Stereo (with effects applied for analogue or digital PCM)
< Mono

So it should be possible by setting the AVP-700 to Stereo mode?
But then leaves also the question if he can do it on 96kHz.

I have Queen Night At The Opera on DVDA which is has a 96 stereo output. Played it back with PCM and tried to add effects, no cigar.

The manual is wrong. But, the sound in this format was outstading in two channel.

Gerritv_be said:
The manual categorises the 3 surround modes:
two-channel
multi-channel
dsp-effects
Extract from the manual:
Two-channel audio, regardless of whether it is analogue or digital also can be output in three mix modes, selected using the MODE button:
< Surround (e.g., Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie, Neo:6 Music, etc.)
< Stereo (with effects applied for analogue or digital PCM)
< Mono

So it should be possible by setting the AVP-700 to Stereo mode?
But then leaves also the question if he can do it on 96kHz.

Hi again,

Thought I'd give it another go, as you're right the manual clearly states it should work... and it does... :thumbsup:

I must have had something other than stereo selected for the surround mode... :suicide: The 'effects' only work in stereo mode and aren't selectable if any of the surround modes are engaged. Spot who doesn't use any of these modes!! :)

With regard to 96KHz output, in my experience it's a bit of a lottery. Generally pretty much all DVD players will not output a 96KHz PCM signal over the digital out. How they handle this is down to individual players. For example my previous Sony DVP-NS905V would automatically downsample any copy protected 96KHz PCM signal to 48KHz. This meant you always got a signal. I've since replaced that with a Denon DVD-2900 and it handles 96KHz signals differently. By default it doesn't down convert, however it too will not output a copy protected 96KHz signal over PCM. So, by default with the Denon I get nothing on the digital output if I select the 96KHz track. If I tell it to downsample, I get sound, but in 48KHz not 96KHz.

One unfortunate feature of the AVP700 (and I believe other ARCAMs) is that they don't show you the PCM input stream sample rate, so it's not easy to work out what you're actually listening to! (So, ARCAM if you're reading this, a software update that shows what the PCM sample rate is would be very useful!)

So, I'm interested to hear that Jack got a 96KHz signal from A Night at the Opera as I tried the exact same disc and couldn't get a 96KHz output, only downsampled 48KHz. The only way I can listen to the 96KHz track is over the analogue outs on the DVD player into the AVP700, which sounds pretty good, but not as good as the full on surround mix in 96KHz IMO! :cool:

Hope this helps...

Ian.

Ian_S said:
Hi again,

Thought I'd give it another go, as you're right the manual clearly states it should work... and it does... :thumbsup:

I must have had something other than stereo selected for the surround mode... :suicide: The 'effects' only work in stereo mode and aren't selectable if any of the surround modes are engaged. Spot who doesn't use any of these modes!! :)

With regard to 96KHz output, in my experience it's a bit of a lottery. Generally pretty much all DVD players will not output a 96KHz PCM signal over the digital out. How they handle this is down to individual players. For example my previous Sony DVP-NS905V would automatically downsample any copy protected 96KHz PCM signal to 48KHz. This meant you always got a signal. I've since replaced that with a Denon DVD-2900 and it handles 96KHz signals differently. By default it doesn't down convert, however it too will not output a copy protected 96KHz signal over PCM. So, by default with the Denon I get nothing on the digital output if I select the 96KHz track. If I tell it to downsample, I get sound, but in 48KHz not 96KHz.

One unfortunate feature of the AVP700 (and I believe other ARCAMs) is that they don't show you the PCM input stream sample rate, so it's not easy to work out what you're actually listening to! (So, ARCAM if you're reading this, a software update that shows what the PCM sample rate is would be very useful!)

So, I'm interested to hear that Jack got a 96KHz signal from A Night at the Opera as I tried the exact same disc and couldn't get a 96KHz output, only downsampled 48KHz. The only way I can listen to the 96KHz track is over the analogue outs on the DVD player into the AVP700, which sounds pretty good, but not as good as the full on surround mix in 96KHz IMO! :cool:

Hope this helps...

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks to give it another go.
Strange that the Sony DVP-NS905V was not able to output 96kHz.
Currently I have the same player and It does output 96kHz.
You can select wat to do with 96kHz in the setup: keep it or downsample to 48kHz. Maybe it is the DVDA(protected). I burned myself some dvds with audio remaster from dvd2one which can upsample to 24/96kHz. I also tried some recordings in 96kHz with no problems.

To Jack Dotson,
Maybe you can give it also another go by putting the AVP-700 in stereo mode as you are able to feed it 96kHz and apply the dsp's.

About the Arcam not showing the sample rate:
I got the information of an AVR300 owner that it does not show it on the matrix display but with fixed icons on the display. Maybe same for AVP-700? It is indeed valuable information to know and would be shame the arcam did not show this.

So what the fuss of running dsp's on 96kHz you think he:
Well, I got recently a setup box for watching tv digitally. It also has 22 radio channels where some (important ones) are in 96kHz. Others in 48 and 44.1.
All tv channels are however in 48 kHz. Listening radio in background I would like to have an overall sound by using all the speakers. Here the party dsp is ideal!!

Hi GB,

Don't get me wrong, not saying the 905V doesn't output 96KHz signals, it just won't do it on copy-protected material, which is all I have, hence the Denon doesn't play ball also. I'm sure if I could be bothered to make a copy with the protection stripped off it would work on both players, and I'm equally sure the AVP700 would quite happily accept the signal. :)

The AVP700 (and I'm pretty sure the AVR300 too) definitely does not show the sample rate in any way shape or form on the display. All you get is a PCM icon on the display.

Gerritv_be said:
Hi Ian,

Thanks to give it another go.
Strange that the Sony DVP-NS905V was not able to output 96kHz.
Currently I have the same player and It does output 96kHz.
You can select wat to do with 96kHz in the setup: keep it or downsample to 48kHz. Maybe it is the DVDA(protected). I burned myself some dvds with audio remaster from dvd2one which can upsample to 24/96kHz. I also tried some recordings in 96kHz with no problems.

To Jack Dotson,
Maybe you can give it also another go by putting the AVP-700 in stereo mode as you are able to feed it 96kHz and apply the dsp's.

About the Arcam not showing the sample rate:
I got the information of an AVR300 owner that it does not show it on the matrix display but with fixed icons on the display. Maybe same for AVP-700? It is indeed valuable information to know and would be shame the arcam did not show this.

So what the fuss of running dsp's on 96kHz you think he:
Well, I got recently a setup box for watching tv digitally. It also has 22 radio channels where some (important ones) are in 96kHz. Others in 48 and 44.1.
All tv channels are however in 48 kHz. Listening radio in background I would like to have an overall sound by using all the speakers. Here the party dsp is ideal!!

I'll do another experiment when I get time and will let you know the results. But, if memory serves, I selected 24/96 on the DVDA menu. I will have to check my owners manual on my DVDP's to ensure their not performing a down conversion, but I don't think so. Also, I think I had a stereo or stero PCM option. I was using the stereo PCM.

This is all from memory so I'll give it another go and find out just what it going on.

Jack Dotson said:
I'll do another experiment when I get time and will let you know the results. But, if memory serves, I selected 24/96 on the DVDA menu. I will have to check my owners manual on my DVDP's to ensure their not performing a down conversion, but I don't think so. Also, I think I had a stereo or stero PCM option. I was using the stereo PCM.

This is all from memory so I'll give it another go and find out just what it going on.

I checked it today in the store on an AVR300. I had also a 96kHz dvd.
1. 96kHz is taken by the AVR300.
2. A pcm and 96K logo pops up!!
3. Any dsp runs on it

So should be same for AVP-700 (Awaiting your results)

Well you learn something every day, by shining a torch on my 700 display I can see the 96K logo by the PCM one and just before the DSP one... :rolleyes:

So, given the shared DSP processing between the 300 and 700 I'd expect that it will do the same as the 300. If I had a 96KHz disc I'd confirm. If you know of somewhere I can get a 96KHz PCM stereo track from I'll try it for you.

Ian.

Ian_S said:
Well you learn something every day, by shining a torch on my 700 display I can see the 96K logo by the PCM one and just before the DSP one... :rolleyes:

So, given the shared DSP processing between the 300 and 700 I'd expect that it will do the same as the 300. If I had a 96KHz disc I'd confirm. If you know of somewhere I can get a 96KHz PCM stereo track from I'll try it for you.

Ian.

Ian, You can use audio remaster in the dvd2one software (http://www.eximius.nl) It can upsample all your cd's to 24/96kHz.
First you need to rip the cd with EAC in wav format.

OK,

I made a backup of A Night at the Opera which didn't include the DVD-A tracks, but did include the LPCM track.

When started, the AVP700 showed 'Stereo PCM' followed by 'PCM 96/88.2K'. The small 96K icon also lights up beside the PCM one.

Providing you haven't selected one of the Dolby or DTS modes, the effects are selectable on the 96k PCM source.

However, what I did notice though that all of the effects still only gave stereo sound, nothing over the centre or two rears. Selecting PLII or NEO:6 modes did give surround sound. Don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or not...

If I downsampled the PCM stream to 48KHz on the DVD player, the effects mode started to use the extra speakers... So I don't know if there's a restriction in the DSP that won't do multi-channel effects on 96KHz sources or whether perhaps it may be a software issue...

Ian.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom