Question Avoiding trailing cables

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MikePL, Sep 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MikePL

MikePL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just moved into a new house which has an aerial point in the lounge. However, I would like to put the Freeview TV on the opposite wall to the TV aerial point but don't want to trail an aerial cable round the room or dig into the brand new plaster! How can I get the signal to the TV. My initial thoughts are to connect an external Freeview box at the aerial point and then somehow "send" the HDMI output to the TV. But how?

I believe there are HDMI senders available, but do they work?

Is it possible to send the HDMI signal via Ethernet using the mains power points?

Is there some other solution that I haven't thought of. I'm sure I'm not the first person whose other half won't take kindly to trailing cables or ruined decoration.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. The_Vindicator

The_Vindicator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    you can send HDMI over Ethernet yes, there are plenty of HDMI Extenders available, you can also network your power cables, but I'm not sure if combining the two would yield acceptable results.

You could use a wireless video sender, there are ones that will do [email protected] and only set you back around £80, I personally have no experience with said devices so I cannot comment on the reliability.

3. cws127

cws127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I use a HDMI transmitter/receiver to transmit HDMI from a Foxtel box in my front bedroom to the kitchen TV in the rear of my home, also carries the RF signal for the remote. I've just had the place completely rewired with ethernet cable but wanted to minimise any additional cabling or adding extra Foxtel boxes ($$$)
    The signal in my case is sent directly via Cat6 cable through an active switch that is NOT connected to my router..... why? Well despite the fact that the unit specified it could go through the router, it kept stuffing up my router settings, resetting them back to default rather than what I had setup (names etc). Now, if all you want to do is send the HDMI via the power lines, and not include internet, then I expect that the combination of mains power ethernet converter, plus the HDMI transmitter/receiver, might work... as I've had no issue with ethernet over powerline adapters previously. If you search fleabay you'll find "HDMI extender over powerline" as a single unit, but they are pretty expensive. Either way there is a cost....
    I'm in Oz, but in UK something like this
    Powerline Adapter | eBay
    and this which is very similar to mine
    1080P HD 3D 60M IR HDMI Extender Adapter Over Single LAN RJ45 CAT5e CAT6 7 Cable | eBay

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    You cannot run HDMI via power line adapters unless the HDMI extenders are ethernet based (which your linked ones are not).

5. cws127

cws127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ahh, did you actually look at the linked items, especially the 2nd one.... which converts hdmi to ethernet?
    whatever......

6. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    No it doesn’t. It’s just badly worded describing the RJ45 jack as Ethernet.

If it was Ethernet, it would not have a 60M limitation. If you read another description for the same product, it tells you you must use shielded cable over 10M. This is not an Ethernet product. It will not work via a switch / power line adapters.