Avoiding Image Retention/Screenburn Tips & Advice Required?

jpb82

Hi

Im still trying to decide between the Panasonic 42PZ80 and Sony 40W4000
and i would prefer to go for the PZ80 because of the better PQ, however i must admit
the thought of image retention/screenburn is really freaking me out, and after reading
posts on many forums it seems the main reason people choose lcd over plasma is because
of image retention turning into screen burn.

Im a gamer, not a hardcore one mind you, but whenever i buy a new
game i have been known to play it for several hours at a time
and sometimes in the case of halo 3 and gears of war 2 from beginning to end
so if i go for plasma i'll probably have to change my gaming habits.

Ive never owned or have had any experience with plasma technology before so i thought it might
help me and other people in my situation if all plasma owners who do any gaming on there plasma's could
tell everyone there tips and advice on what they do to avoid image retention and screen burn.

For example would it help if you were to spend say 2 hours gaming and then take a break for half an hour,
turn the plasma to a tv program with no logos, and then resume gaming for another 2 hours Etc

I would "REALLY" appreciate all of your help.

rewerb

For example would it help if you were to spend say 2 hours gaming and then take a break for half an hour,
turn the plasma to a tv program with no logos, and then resume gaming for another 2 hours Etc

I would "REALLY" appreciate all of your help.

Yes it would help, particularly when the TV is new (under 200hrs). The important thing is watch a variety of programs and not play the same game 24/7.
You might see some image retention after a gaming session, but it will "wash away" with normal viewing. You dont get screen burn after 2hrs.:smashin:

Kev12

Thats the general rule, and also turning down contrast and brightness for the first few hundred hours.

Beaten by rewerb!

akki007

Also, perhaps using the search function on here would give you the other 7.6 million threads asking the exact same thing. It takes ages to find anything on this Plasma forum because of all the duplicated screen burn and cleaning threads!

DizzyDaz2

I'm concerned about this as well. Really want to get the Panasonic [SIZE=+0]TH50PZ80B and can play games for a good 4-5 hours at a stretch (mainly due to my job) so it's no good me getting a plasma if screen burn is still common place :([/SIZE]

alffjeld

hi
its not commonplace. i have had my samsung plasma for the last 5 years, my family have used it for playing PS3, XBOX, and Wii, the sessions have been upto 10 hours long, and have taken no spes. conciderations, and used it on high contrast and brightness while playing.
i have never had anything that remotly resembles burn-in!
and the old plasmas was sensitive, the new ones, especially pioneer and panasonic, are much better than my old one.
so dont be scared, go for the PQ, and have a good time with your plasma :)

Paul MC007

I've had a Panny PX80 42" for about three weeks now. Although I don't use it at all for gaming, I was really, really paranoid about image retention.

I have watched a fair bit of 4:3 stuff (so grey sidebars left and right, as I don't like the Auto or Zoom functions for 4:3!) and also watched things for ages with quite prominent channel logos. I have also had the brightness/contrast up from the recommended settings for the "200 hour" run in everyone talks about.

I haven't seen any image retention at all.

So, my advice is same as the previous poster: Don't worry about it too much!

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom