Avoiding Customs charges

TheBigApple

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's not their fault but i've just recieved another customs hit dvd from play. I know it's a risk I take blah blah blah. But does anyone know of a company that doesn't mark the price on the packaging, as I think this is half the problem when it totals more than £17.99.

CD wow will refund the customs charge if you get stung, dddhouse (region 3 DVDs) always mark the package as a very low value so you don't get hit.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Shoka
CD wow will refund the customs charge if you get stung
Always?? :eek:

I know they refunded some R2 charges for one member but I didn't think it was an actual policy :confused:

www.ezydvd.com.au will mark things really low once they get used to you - usually $10-$20 for 2 DVDs, no matter what they really cost. Don't stick more than 2 DVDs in a parcel though as you end up paying more for shipping because they have to insure it and they are also likely to be forced to put the correct price... I could be wrong, but best not to risk it.

www.atlanticdvd.com.au take a bit longer to realise that you're not a customs investigator :D - but will also mark stuff artificially low, but seems to be more hit and miss than Ezy.

www.absound.ca mark the price without the P&P added so that helps a bit.

As you say, stick in the £17.99 zone (and use a generous exchange rate) and you'll be fine :)

Originally posted by Squirrel God

I know they refunded some R2 charges for one member but I didn't think it was an actual policy :confused:

I swear I saw something on there site about no taxes, duties etc, but can't see it now, maybe I'm going mad?:confused:

Whilst were on the subject of customs charges I take it the do not charge it on books since it has zero VAT on it., but what happens if you order say from Amazon.com and order a DVD and a book which brings it to £25 when the book cost £8?

Got whacked only this morning with custom charges of £7.34 on Back to the Future triology.

Wrote an email to CD Wow at midday and by 2.00pm got an email response advising that £7.70 had been credited to my card.

No dithering no fuss. Outstanding service in my book!!

huss

Originally posted by Garrett
Whilst were on the subject of customs charges I take it the do not charge it on books since it has zero VAT on it., but what happens if you order say from Amazon.com and order a DVD and a book which brings it to £25 when the book cost £8?
Dunno, but I do know that Amazon.co.uk warn you that if you mix books with other items you will pay VAT on the P&P for the total order.

Originally posted by Squirrel God

I think it is CD-Wow's policy SG - this is what their pop-up box says when you select a DVD over £18:-
"This is a BOX SET and as such MAY NOT fit through your letter / post box. In this event the Postman / Postal Agent will leave a note for you to collect this from your local sorting office / collection point.

New shipping methods ensure:
* no other fees are due / payable (Duty or VAT)
* delivery direct through your letter box

Recently a small number of items dispatched attracted additional fees.

We apologise for this inconvenience and should you require further assistance please email...
[email protected]

This will not affect any other items you may have ordered."

Just another reason to order from CD-Wow!

The copy of LOTR I ordered from them has clearly been nicked en route, but it looks like they're to send me another one without quibble - I'm sure there aren't too many supplieers that would do that....

Simon

Just worried my replacement copy of LOTR CD-Wow post might get nicked as well...royal mail employs some real dodgy characters.

In the morning I lie in bed waiting for the sound of a box hitting the door mat...sad or what.

I'm waiting for the same thing!
My LOTR is the only DVD I've ordered that's gone missing - I can only presume it's pure coincidence, but it does seem like quite a few people are in the same boat. I'd love to know at what stage in the delivery process they get nicked - ie if it's an organised thing or just down to the individual postman. I can't believe it's our postman (actually postmen because we have 2 different ones periodically). If it was him I hope he feels REALLY guilty after we gave him a cash Christmas pressie!

Even if CD-Wow do send me a replacement (haven't heard from them after the 1st email saying they would) I guess I should also tell the Post Office so that they're aware (or I wonder if CD-Wow do that?)

Hope it comes soon....

Simon

Custom charges are placed on packages at the International Hubs in the Royal Mail System and is not up to individual posties in local delivery offices.

One Christmas stressed postie.

I ordered Men in Black 2 as a christmas present from play.com and they said it was sent on the 9/12/02, money was removed from my account on 11/12/02. I then had to wait 14 days to question its whereabouts. They are sending me a replacement at no extra cost yet if I do get two I have to shell out more money to send it back recorded delivery to them for their or someone elses mistake. I THINK NOT! :)

www.dv-depot.com do an excellent service using DHL for 9.95 can$ they will ship up to 7 discs (discs not titles) on a 3 business day service (you can even track it to the door) which is VERY customs friendly (Im not posting details for obvious reasons) they are not always the cheapest but some of there pre books are very good I use them for box sets such as the Sopranos they also use a flexicart system that hold a dvd in stock for you for 30 days allowing you to fill a shipment up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom