Quantcast

Avoiding Customs Charges - Which supplier...

Which DVD supplier is least frequently hit by customs charges

• AB Sound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amazon

• cd-WOW

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • DVD boxoffice

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • DVD planet

• DVD Soon

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Future Entertainment

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Movie Tyme

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Play 247

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Play Centric

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Desticado

As its seems to be the season for heavy boxsets, spiderman, band of brothers, ET, LOTR etc all of which Customs just love to hit people for a spot of VAT etc I thought I'd post a little poll asking for peoples oppinions on which suppliers tend to get their disks through unacosted...

I've only ever had two orders that might get stopped (Die Hard R1 Boxset & Jurassic Park R1 Boxset from DVD-Boxoffive) and they came through fine. Both were about 9 months ago.

Regards.

S

Sgt.Colon

I have been shopping at Play for 2-3 years now and never once have I been charged import fees :)

What them get me now I've said that :blush:

Matinee

Standard Member
Originally posted by Desticado
I thought I'd post a little poll asking for peoples oppinions on which suppliers tend to get their disks through unacosted...
Surely the real question is which courier charges you, certain couriers are almost guaranteed to charge you for any imports, whilst others are down to luck and the value of the shipment.

PK

kevenh

Standard Member
I've only placed about 1/2 a dozen orders, and only one of those was >£18.

But instead of Play writing £34 on the customs declaration, they wrote Aust$34 - a genuine mistake?

buns

Banned
im well known for being a spoil sport, but are you not technically obliged to pay vat on your imports? I know for fact that there can be difficulties if you try to replace an import under insurance, and it has not had vat payed...... maybe dvd's are different! But i think that there is nothing to stop my vat man coming around to you and demanding you pay vat on an import, even if the courier did not.

ad

iwilson

Standard Member
You're missing one supplier www.dv-depot.com You never get custom charges as they describe the contents as sample software. Everything ships by DHL 3 days max, tracking number, 9.99US for 7 discs.

Ian

Desticado

Thanks for that, unfortunately its only possible to have a poll with 10 options max, hence I only listed companies most commonly talked about on here.

bh

Standard Member
I've never had a problem with Play or Movietime.

im well known for being a spoil sport, but are you not technically obliged to pay vat on your imports?
... hence the purpose of the poll and thread:D :D

Monster

Would it not be better to ask, which sites have you ordered from and had to pay import duty/VAT.

I have never been caught (Now LOTR will surely be ensnared):clown:

I have ordered plenty from CD-WOW Play etc so could vote for each. It would be interesting to see if there is a trend for any particular suppliers getting caught as this is more the exception (in my experience.)

Just a thought :confused:

Desticado

Originally posted by Monster
Would it not be better to ask, which sites have you ordered from and had to pay import duty/VAT.
I thought quite hard about how to phrase the question and end up between "Which supplier is LEAST/MOST frequently hit" as all the other variations on it would appear to become more biased to frequency of all purchases as opposed to 'liable' purchases.

Hardly hardcore statistics but had to be considered none the less.

buns

Banned
i was pointing out that the wording might have caused the thread to have been locked (technically its illegal really)........but clearly im wrong! sorry!

ad

Reiner

My advise: keep the amount of DVDs small in one order, i.e. max. 2 titles or 1 title in case of a double disc release.
IMHO DVDboxoffice ships from France, so there shouldn't be any tax/import duty. The catch? The order may take around 2 weeks to arrive.