avoiding being ripped off on freeads

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Marc, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i've found something i want to buy on freeads.net but unfortunately it's too far away to collect, so i'm going to have it shipped and send payment via bank transfer. I know if it goes tits up, i will lose my money and have no recourse. Chances are the guy's honest but it's hard to trust on the internet any more when it comes to money, especially after being ripped off (on here) in the past.

but i've noticed UPS have a collect on delivery service where i would pay them to receive the package, and they would forward that money to the seller. If i did this using my Natwest credit card, would i be covered if the package turned out to be a box filled with sawdust etc?

I know i should be asking Natwest this, but customer services is closed till tomorrow so i thought this was worth a shot..

cheers

Marc

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Phone up the seller and ask if you can come around and collect the item - make it plausible, with a date and time, etc. If he sounds agreeable and honest, you probably have nothing to worry about. If it's a scam, you'll probably know by then. If satisfied, call up later and cancel the meeting and ask him to send it to you instead. If he sends you sawdust, pursue the matter legally. You have his address, and evidence of the transaction, etc.

As a rule of thumb, 99% of people are honest, but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.