1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoid this DVD!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 22, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi All,

If you are a horror-film or "exploitation" fan then this post is of relevance to you.

Here, in the UK, a company called "Exploited" who released the excellent "The Killing Of America" DVD, have just released "The Van Bebber Collection" to DVD.

Sadly, the disc entitlted "Roadkill/My Sweet Satan" is one of the worst DVD's I've ever seen... ever! :eek: It is absolutely abominable.

Firstly, to those who don't known, Jim Van Bebber is a US underground/exploitation director who has so-far made three horror films. Sadly, "Deadbeat At Dawn" was banned last year by the BBFC, due to the excessive violent content. However, the BBFC have allowed "Roadkill" and "My Sweet Satan" to pass through uncut.

Alas, it's a total waste of your money. The films are crap, even by trash-film-making standards. They are gory, but dull as ditchwater, and are essentially nothing more than short scenes of gory special effects.

The films have been remastered from 16mm video tape, hence they look really, REALLY awful, and are full of grain and soft images, showing no details of any description. Much of the dialogue has been looped, and is not in-sync with the actors.

The extras are good in quantity, but lousy in quality. The 20-minute interview is only mediocre, whilst the documentary and other materials are pretty mundane! "Here his views on censorship" it says on the back of the disc. What he says is he hates the BBFC! Well, whoopey-f***ing-do! Insightful, it isn't!

Finally, the disc is stated as being an NTSC region-free disc! It isn't! It's a PAL, region 2 only disc! Ultimately, "Exploited" is not just the company releasing the disc, but how you'll feel if you waste your money on this cack! Avoid at ALL costs!!!

Tomorrow, my disc goes back to HMV!

Pooch

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Jim Van Bebber is a hack, and a talentless one at that. He can't even direct a halfway decent rock video.
    Personally, I'm surprised every time someone even considers releasing any more of his crap on vhs or disc.
    Pooch, you have my sympathies.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awww, but I liked Deadbeat at Dawn. Well, just a little bit. My Sweet Satan is an extra on the region 1 disc and is just about OK as an extra. I have only seen Roadkill as bootleg but that wasn't all that bad, I thought.
    Exploited, though, are worth supporting. As for the 16mm complaint, what did you expect. You can't blame a company for the source material. I bet there is no DTS soundtrack, either. As for 'short films of nothing but gory special effects', well, there's a surprise as this was all they were meant to be, I thought. A homage, if you will, to comercially produced long films of nothing but gory special effects.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Again,

Who Cares - you said:
    1) "Exploited, though, are worth supporting."
    I fuilly agree, as the company itself has released some decent titles, that we may never have seen. "The Killing Of America" which I mentioned initially, is well worth a purchase if you like intelligent (but dated) documentaries. Very shocking!

2) "As for the 16mm complaint, what did you expect. You can't blame a company for the source material."
    True, I don't blame "Exploited" for the quality, but when the DVD claims to be "digitally remastered", you kind-of expect a certain standard. It wasn't until I saw the films, that I realised how shockingly bad it was.

Anyway, the DVD was returned, and I purchased a new R3 serial-killer flick instead, which when I've watched it, will place a review on this site.

I won't tell you what the movie is, just yet, so that the revelation will (hopefully) be a nice surprise.

Pooch

5. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...well... ahh... if I may relativize Pooch's initial post - here's a totally enthousiastic (*) review of the R1 DVD of the movie that the BBFC didn't pass...

(*) ...enthousiastic about the movie - Deadbeat At Dawn - and about Jim Van Bebber, its director... see: as so often, it takes all kinds... one person's cr@p is another person's manna-from-heaven... etc., and so forth...)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/deadbeatatdawn.html

. . . :devil: . . .

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch, I believe that "digitally remastered" means absolutely nothing as far as quality is concerned.
    It just means that it is a dvd movie! Cunning, I know. I look foraward to your next review.