AVOID John Lewis - OLED TV Image Retention Warranty Refusal

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Alsone, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alsone

Alsone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

Just advising everyone to consider very carefully before buying TV's from JL.

They're refusing to acknowledge that an LG E6 OLED panel that has suffered damage with the screen saver and the pixel shift enabled, is faulty and replaceable under both their own 5yr Guarantee and the Consumer Rights Act despite it being seemingly impossible to display a static image of the type burnt in on my panel, for any period of time due to the screensaver - LG says on one of their websites that with OLED, it should take many hours to days of continuous display to cause image retention combined with extreme brightness settings, but their inbuilt screen saver activates to protect it after just 2 minutes with the source concerned.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from the above in my opinion, is this particular panel is defective and not of satisfactory quality as the screen saver has prevented any static image longer than 2 minutes duration which means the conditions under which the panel can be damaged from normal usage as stated by LG, have not been met. Trading standards have advised me that they should refund the TV.

However, JL are refusing to acknowledge this. So beware if you are considering buying from JL.

2. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Apologies if you've already mentioned this but what image has caused your burn in?

3. Alsone

Alsone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Youtube menu screen. If left static, the LG screensaver kicks in within 2 minutes to take the screen to black.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
  4. Aretak

Aretak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Not that it's going to make you feel any better, but their guarantee specifically states that it doesn't cover screen burn.
    Guarantees | John Lewis

They're not alone in that either. Nobody covers screen burn in this country, including the TV manufacturers themselves. OLED burn-in is also cumulative, so whilst you may not have ever left that one logo on-screen for a long period at once, over time it will build up and leave an imprint.

5. sammiesung

sammiesung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you got any pics of the burn in and the menu in question?

6. JJ100000

JJ100000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As has been mentioned above unfortunately the warranties for virtually any retailer do not cover image retention/screen burn. I have a C8 and did ask LG about this and they confirmed that they do cover screen burn on current models under a 12 month warranty but that is it.

7. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Just don't see why anyone would buy one of these at the moment, when top drawer LED TV's are nearly but not quite as good. A Samsung q9 with a 10 year no burn warranty, or an OLED with absolutely no guarantee, hmmm.. As I've stated before there must be people on here with money to burn.

8. Rizvan

Rizvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I think people still buy them because they offer the best picture quality, black levels etc for the money, I bought the LG C8 over the Samsung Q9FN as it was no contest, OLED was better in medium - low light environments ;) I understand what your saying, however I think that all these reports of OLED's suffering pixel fade is nothing in comparison to how many have been shipped.
    It seems models around 2016/17 suffer from fade far more, we won't know if the 2018 OLED panels have been improved but everything points to them being a better/new design. Guess we'll find out in a few years time.

Regarding the Samsung Q9FN, its good but not nearly as good as OLED in my opinion.
    The Samsung may come with a 10 year no burn warranty but it is based on LCD technology which rarely suffers from burn in, so the 10 year warranty is purely marketing to increase sales numbers.

Just because you read horror stories regarding OLED pixel fade online world doesn't make every single OLED will end up with faded pixels....... if you wan't the best IQ for your money then OLED is the choice, you just have to accept the risks if you tend to want material with banners / logos etc.

Mine is going to be for purely movies and drama's. No news, sports or gaming :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  9. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    The QLED screen burn warranty only exists as a kick in the teeth to LG. And having drilled down into the specifics of what is covered and what is not, the definition of ‘misuse’ is widely interpreted and I quote one Samsung area manager ‘I’d be astonished if they actually honoured it’, given most users haven’t registered the TVs anyway.

Its not like QLED or LED can’t burn either. I’ve seen a 2017 Q7 65 with BI, and there’s a 75 XE94 with horrendous burn on display in London.

As we’ve discussed at length in a different thread - OLEDs are no more susceptible to BI than plasmas, yet it didn’t really put them off. Now, given the plummeting price of oleds (you’ll be able to pick one up for £1k before long) it’s a risk worth taking. You’re not guaranteed BI at all, but it’s the risk you take. To quote you - ‘top drawer LEDs are nearly but not quite as good. Thus, you want the best PQ, it comes with a risk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Rizvan

Rizvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Well put :)
    I went the plasma route no burn and no regrets :D

11. Alsone

Alsone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Mine doesn't. I printed and stapled a copy of the terms attached to the receipt. I'm guessing they must have subsequently changed the terms and conditions.

In any event, the warranty and your consumer rights at law are 2 entirely separate and you can claim under one even if precluded from the other.

12. Lrehcsa

Lrehcsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Who still makes Plasma TV's, I thought they had died a death

13. Rizvan

Rizvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Haha, didn't buy it now, I meant I bought it back in the days when people were scared of screen burn etc. ;)
    Panasonic PH9, it had outstanding IQ back in the days.

14. Lrehcsa

Lrehcsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126

Haha Ok cool, I love Plasma too, I've only just updated my 10 year old 58" commercial Panasonic Plasma to an OLED, I just never got into the look of LCD screens, although recent years they have come along way

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  15. Alsone

Alsone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The viable option now seems to be QLED. What little you lose in black you gain in brightness, and on the latest ones, tests seem to indicate now that the black levels are very close to OLED.

I wouldn't buy another OLED after my experience. A tv should not suffer screen burn from normal use with all protection enabled and precautions taken.

16. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Just to clarify, QLED is not a technology. It’s an image enhancer. Don’t limit yourself to just looking at Samsung. Sony use exactly the same concept, they instead market as they should, as an image enhancer called TriLuminos. LG’s nano cell idea does the opposite of Quantum Dot, in that it takes away the unwanted brightness. I don’t blame you for shying away from OLED, totally justified after your experience, but don’t expect never to see BI again. It can happen on an LCD.

Not to say that Samsung’s QLED isn’t awesome - it is, although it’s strictly not a true Quantum dot tv, but we’ll leave that alone. I’m simply saying that the other manufacturers use QLED style processing but don’t market it as a technology, (cynic speaking here) and try to trick people into thinking it’s oled. I quote someone I met last week - ‘I thought QLED was better than OLED, because Samsung are the only ones offering it and the Q could stand for Quality’.... goes to show Samsung’s marketing machine is working.

17. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The yellow square button within the youtube app selection menu, has been reported on here long ago as a source of screen burn.
    The owner argued that seeing as it is an LG internal app, they had some responsibility for it, as the app is not fit for purpose on the tv....

18. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I can’t say a bad word about John Lewis .have bought all sorts over the years including most of the top of the range TVs..it’s not John Lewis that is the problem it’s oled ...the simple solution is when you open the box there is a warning about screen burn ...most people haven’t got a clue and it’s upto LG who supply all the panels to Sony .panasonic etc etc to make it more clear ...burn in = in CAPITALS No cover ..I’ve gone for Samsung q9fn 65 even though I’m not that cean on Samsung ..I just want to avoid the burn in problem as I’m using it as a monitor and you tube research and gaming ..so only option that has deep blacks is the Samsung ..Sony blooming is dreadful so it’s not for me

19. Rizvan

Rizvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    It’s not burn in, it’s excessive use of the OLED pixels which causes them to dim.
    I think the retailers have a duty to accept the suspect OLED’s back and put pressure on the manufacturers to act.

20. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I kinda agree that it's LG at fault but the contract of sale is with the retailer so unfortunately they have to deal with it. It's then up to the retailer to take it up with LG I guess.

A lot of people are aware of 'burn in' but I don't think anyone would expect to get it from an icon that is on screen for no more than 2 minutes at a time or watching something for a couple of hours a week. As many people have stated though, screen burn isn't really an accurate description of what is happening to a lot of panels (2016 in particular).

21. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    But isn’t it strange that you can purchase a Lenovo laptop that has an oled screen theat will have icons on the screen that will never move..how do they Devine miss use ..

22. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    They don't define it, many people have asked but they won't say.

23. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Micro led will be the future

24. addyeddy

addyeddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Most TV channels now have a logo in the corner of the screen, so if someone has ITV on for hours at a time, are they not at risk of image retention/burn in, call it what you will?

25. johnpmc35

johnpmc35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The white/grey logos don't seem to cause as much problem, it's anything with yellow or red

26. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846

You dont like Samsung do you lol.

27. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Don’t like or dislike. I simply take issue with their marketing and sales strategies that attempt to rubbish every other brand.

That said, I’m in awe of them and how good they are with their marketing. It’s the same as Amazon for me. Really dislike their business practices and staff treatment, their sales strategy is to consume the entire high street it seems. Doesn’t stop me from being impressed by them and still buying from them

28. martylaa

martylaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I watch a lot of Fox channels, this has the white logo top left and also I watch Netflix, problem is I sometimes watch sky sports news as well, not for long but I do watch it and I do pause my tv for dome periods whilst I do other jobs...
    Hence fears of burn in/out...

29. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    to me having to think what you do with a tv is crazy that is why I have ruled out oled .the closest to what I want is the Samsung q9fn I prefer the panny menu system and colours but until micro led or some other tech comes around it will do me till them which I think is around 4 years away

30. Aj33

Aj33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If I ever want to pause something for a period of time (usually to shout at the kids:rotfl:) I hop into the energy settings and turn the screen off.

I do the same for music/radio.