1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoid DVD Box Office IMHO

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Popester, Oct 27, 2000.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used them a lot for the last year and half because they had good prices and discs arrived within a week.

But no more! It is taking forever now for new releases to arrive and I know people that have been waiting nearly 2 months now after they were told that they had been shipped.

Clearly something has gone wrong in the supply chain. I gather from others that I am far from the only one and so I feel it is OK to post this warning of my experiences. I have cancelled all my back orders and will be going elsewhere until this is sorted.

I should also point out that any important questions I have go unanswered whilst they quickly reply to stuff that I don't give a monkey's about, you work it out.

Sorry, just a little narked [​IMG]

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Feel the same. Bit pricey now too.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

3. Tyler

Tyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the same problems with DVD Box Office. I have paid for five DVDs which I have never received - the first of which they claim to have sent on August 15th!!!

It's five seperate shipments so it's pretty weird if they all "got lost" on the way from Canada to Denmark where I live...

Of course I have cancelled all my remaining orders to cut my losses.

I have e-mailed them countless times and all they come up with all kinds of lame excuses (if they answer my e-mail at all): A new way of shipping, postal strike in Holland, problems with customs etc.

Now I'm buying my DVDs from Movietyme - they've got a lousy website but the service is OK and the DVDs are cheap.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here they used to be fantastic but now they seem to take for F***ing ever to deliver the dvds. I order practically all the latest region1`s and now there taking well over a month a time now, i currently have 7 dvd`s on backorder. Also when you email them for help its always some lame ass excuse. Trouble is as far as i can see there the cheapest way of getting r1`s.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I'm still waiting for Jurassic Park & Final destination! JP was apparently posted on 4 Oct. I've used them for over 2 years now. Just tried Absound. They delivered in 8 days, & only slightly more expensive than BO.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, I totally aggree, DVD Boxoffice have become very poor at delivering the goods (literally). Personally I think their Web site is one of the best though.

I've ordered, over the last year, about 50 DVD's. They used to arrive within 7 working days. However lately it's about 18 working days (Final Destination). I'm still waiting for JP which was posted 6/10.

I've got MI2, X-Men and Gladiator on pre-order with them which I think I'll cancel. Who do I use instead though ? I was thinking along the lines of future entertainment, any opinions ???

Ian Gray

7. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! So many people, I didn't realise it was quite so bad.

I have switched all my pre-orders to either Play247 or Fut Ent for now. Wish I had known about these problems in time to cancel my orders for Toy Story and American Beauty. Damn!

It's really not good enough from them is it.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    They'll learn the hard way when European orders dry up big style.
    We'll wait a bit, but too long and it's bye bye matey.

------------------

9. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    Use Play247,they are excellent,i lost faith in dvd box office when one day i checked my account with them and found that i had about $200 worth of dvds on order that i never placed!!!!

------------------
    http://iamadvdaddict.homestead.com/dvdlist.html

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also in the same position. suposedly shipped on teh 16th of October But i am still waitng. i just went to there web sight to cancel my back orders but THERE WEB SIGHT IS DOWN ?. The credit card company will not let me cancel any new payments due.

its definatly time to look for a new supplyer.
    shame realy becase they were good.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Apparently, there's some sort of postal strike over there somewhere (maybe a regional thing). Jurassic park was sent to me on the 4th of October and I still haven't received it.

I'm going to cancel all my pre-xmas orders when their web site comes back up!

Jus

12. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U571 sent from DVD BO on 13.10.00 STILL not arrived!!!!

Ordered High Fidelity from Future Ents friday - arrived this morning (it was out of stock at the time)

Ordered 2 in stock R2 films friday from Play not arrived yet.

Today's tuseday.

Says it all really.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered Final Destination at the beginning of Oct, it still hasn't been shipped. Some discs get through in about a week, but most take about three. A friend of mine has started buying from Play and gets his discs in about four days.

14. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still waiting...and waiting...and waiting

Ian

15. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still waiting...and waiting...and waiting

Ian

16. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to see my 'open question to HCC' re DVD Box Office appears to have been deleted from the board yesterday.

Musn't ruffle those advertisers'feathers. Shame on you.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone I know has cancelled their oustanding orders with DVD Box Office...and it would appear that most people on here and a few other forums have too !!

Surely Box Office realise their is a problem and that it needs addressing NOW.

My money will be going to Future Entertainment from now on as all the DVD's I ordered from them have arrived in the last couple of days less than a week after I ordered them!

By the way, I also dont agree with the thread for HCC's attention being removed (even though I admit I havn't checked to see if it is still there)...There has been a LOT of complaints levelled at HCC in these forums lately about many things, and they are commiting the same crime as many of these shoddy DVD retailers by not replying on here to the complaints!

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

18. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have now cancelled my pre-orders of MI2, X-Men and Gladiator from DVD Box Office. Surprise, Surprise I still haven't had confirmation of this from them. I wonder how long I'll have to wait ? I obviously want to re-order these titles from someone else.

I'm also still waiting for JP - posted on 4/10. The more I think about this the madder I get. Already posted to me are Toy Story U.Box set, U571 and American Beauty. These were sent 19/10 so I expect I might get them nearer to xmas than I'd like. aaagghhhh DVD BO are crap.

Ian.

19. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +656
    The problem 'might' not be DVBOs fault...

Like everyone, I was thinking that it is, but I have recently place my first order with DV-Depot.

They posted 2 disks in seperate packages 10 days ago and I have received nothing.. Whilst this isn't long, it still almost twice as long as the longest I have waited before for stuff from overseas.

I also recieved a letter today from a US company dated October 20th.. That took almost 2 weeks to arrive.. just for a letter.

So its possible.. Only possible that it is just a postal thing.

For me, I am now thinking that all this importing buisness isn't worth it.. Sure you save a quid or 2, but is it worth the hassle, when Play can get the stuff to you within a few days.

20. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left it there long enough for people to see it and then appropriately deleted it since it's not on topic for this forum.
    We don't have feathers. We have blades.

21. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come off it Blade, I wouldn't have minded but you could have at least answered the question. Look at the number of complaints above, there is a lot of your readers money tied up in this company. Do you not feel it is worth pursuing further? Secondly it was a polite question, so why remove it? Could you not have moved it to what you consider an appropriate 'topic' board? Actually I've just had quick scan of the definitions of the topics and this was the place for it - especially considering this and other threads.

Popester

[This message has been edited by Popester (edited 01-11-2000).]

22. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you've convinced me! so what's next?

How do you cancel orders with DVDBoxoffice?

There's nothing on their site to let you cancel (unlike every other site), I e-mailed them days ago and they haven't responded.

Am I missing something here, how do you cancel pre-orders with this company?

23. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    E-mail them, fast.
    I did and they replied in a few days.
    Don't hang about though.
    And while you're at it, tell them why, I did.
    Shame really, but why suffer such poor service?

------------------

24. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    STILL WAITING!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Thank you.

25. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi ordered the green mile on the 30,10,00 from dvd dynamic and got it today, have cancelled pre order from box office and ordered it from them instead.
    cheers.

------------------
    And the monkey flips the switch.

26. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have received all those ordered from DVDBO over the last 6 weeks with the exception of one that hasn't yet been released. Not perfect but patience wins in the end.
    Not advocating anyone use them if they must have them quicker but I would rather pay less, not a lot less I grant you but a pound or 3 is better in my pocket than theirs and if anyone can suggest somewhere cheaper.......?

27. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +656
    I don't think that this is only with DVBO.

I placed my first order with DV-Depot 2.5 weeks ago... THe order was dispatched the same day.

Apparantly the problem is all to do with OUR Royal Mail. I have heard of huge delays.

In the past, I have always recieved DVDs from the US in 5-7 days.. This is just too long for a saving of a couple of quid.

However, if this is to do with the Royal Mail, then I guess UK based companies (i.e Play) would suffer too.

28. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just order now from Play or Future Ent, takes 2 day and I pay a quid or 2 max more...big deal. I'm still saving 3 or 4 quid on the UK price. I'm sorry but for new films such as Gladiator, Toy Story etc 4 weeks+ is too long wait just to save £1 or so. That's just daft.

I am soooooo sick of waiting for the films I'm after and seeing everyone else has them. The postman avoids my house now as I'm waiting to pounce on him every morning demanding my disks!

29. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I respect your need to have DVDs delivered quickly, that's fine. For me there is no point in ordering a load of newly released movies to get them 2 or 3 days later and then have to wait 3 weeks or however long to watch them so I save a few quid and watch them when I have the time and when the mood takes me.
    If I could get the R1 DVD of a movie in a local shop go home and watch it that night as an impulse buy then I might be willing to pay a little more. Unfortunately the law has scuppered this simple pleasure and there are few R2 worth buying IMO but this is another subject so I'll shut up now.

30. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Popester

LOL