1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avoid burn-in

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Peer, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Peer

Peer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy the Pioneer PDP-435 HDE. I was told, by the HiFI bussinessowner that if you want to avoid burn-in problems, through for example a little icon broadcasted by some canals, you better leave the plasma on for the first 24 hours(I think he sayed to project a white screen, but I'am not sure).
    What your'e actually doing is the 'lightly burn/toast' the screen to prevent a bigger burn -in through little icons or text.
    What do you all think about this? I don't want to risk throwing bucks into the toilet. :lease:

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you do a serach you will find your answer, its been covered loads of times! Most people say lower contrast and brightness for the first 200 hours or so, then its not really an issue. Basically , sounds like he talking bollards

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well prematurely Aging your screen will sop a logo burning in by bruning the WHOLE SCREEN................. can be used to cover up burnt in logos.........but if you just use it sensibly you will be fine.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    BTW I hope you are not UK based, as he's offering a non UK product. This might be difficult warranty wise.

5. Peer

Peer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies, :oops: even when the question was dealt with a number of times. I was a bit lazy not reading all the threads. And no, I'am not UK based. It's Holland.
    I tought the guy was selling bullocks.
    He was telling me the info came from a VS based plasma guru. Well we all now what happen to guru's who sell crap in the end.
    Thanks a bunch!

6. Peer

Peer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, does anybody know where I can download the 'its a shame'(3 out of 5 stars) review of the Pioneer PdP-435 FDE by 'What Hi-Fi'?
    I know its :offtopic: but maybe your can help me.
    Thanx.

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Actually, it doesn't sound like such bad advice. On the basis that running for the first 200 hours or so with low contrast / brightness is good advice that is.

By running low contrast / brightness, you are just trying to avoid peaks whilst taking the 'newness' off the panel. As long as you use a uniform grey / white, you are basically doing the same thing - ensuring that the whole screen is 'aged' consistently, and so no residual image can possibly remain.

We aren't talking about doing this for weeks on end, slashing 1000s of hours of the lifetime - just taking off the first few hours.