1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVLS and max volume on HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by clivem2, Jun 22, 2005.

1. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my silver HD5 (waiting for the cracks....), I've turned off AVLS from the menu. The "volume set" fix that can be done in the test mode menu....I assume this lets the player go much louder than it does with AVLS off.

Assuming this is that case; using both the standard earbuds and some better Sony ones that I have, max volume with just AVLS off is plenty. Anymore would I'm sure damage my hearing over time. Are those that need extra volume using less efficient (and therefore quieter) headphones?

2. mercedes500e

mercedes500e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your right there which is why they limit it in the first place, or else why would they bother

3. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually you will find that bigger headphones will not be as loud. If I use the standard headphones, max volume will be quite loud. However if use my HD 515's max volume will not be that loud at all.

4. Buzku

Buzku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, HD515s impedance is so big that they need more power and that power is reduced from volume. Same goes with almost all good (and big) hifiheadphones. Sennheisers 5xx are more suitable for home listening as plugged to amplifier that delivers suitable impedance.

5. Aargh

Aargh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I'm well aware of this, just the 515's sound a lot better than the in ear ones. Best way to run the sennheiser's from the hd5 is line out to the amp and then to the headphones. I have been thinking about getting one of them boostaroo portable amps but can't find too much on them.