1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avid Xpress DV editing platform

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kevenh, Jul 11, 2002.

1. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why aren't we talking about this software application: Xpress DV?

I'm 100% biased*, but if we're spending hundreds of £££ on a DV camera for 'professional' results, why not invest in the same quality of editing software (and it's assoicated hardware)?

*I am an Avid employee.

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Possibly because nobody on the forum owns it. From what I have seen it looks severely overpriced compared with its immediate real competition. E.g. Premiere and Final Cut Pro. Not to mention the hardware accelerated and highly impressive Canopus Storm all of which cost significantly less.

If anyone does own it (DVexpress) and wants to talk about it I am sure we'd be only too delighted.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Its a bit pricey for these parts methinks. I also think it will have a hard time competing with the latest incarnation of final cut pro ( a friend of mine has both he prefers Final Cut Pro and he's edited on Avid , Lightworks , Fire you name it)

I might go for it as I've used Avid in the past a fair bit and I'm peed off at Apple for buying out Nothing Real and Silicon Grail too come to think of it.

What does a Matador licence go for these days ? I still use it a fair bit too.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm also a more than a bit peeved at Apple buying out 'Spruce Up' which was the only decent (Affordable) DVD authoring program fro PC, then killing it. Not to mention buying E-Magic and immediately announcing the cessation of all the Logic PC products..........

5. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK! I really only have a blinkered view on the DV editing market so sorry if I don't bring much to the discussion.
    I am a fan of Avid editing S/W, and I believe my colleagues who say it is better than FCP :devil:
    Xpress DV 3.5 is now Max OS X, and Win XP, but that's all I'm saying (blowing my own trumpet springs to mind)...

I don't know the £££ for it, but know it's pricey. :(

Right, I'm off back to the DVD and home cinema forums :cool: