1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aviation digital camera on a budget

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DH Dove, Oct 11, 2005.

1. DH Dove

DH Dove
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Greetings digital photographers on AV forums :hiya:
    I have been grateful to LCD/Plasma forum members to help us choose our new TV. With magazine reading, that took a year, much helpful info and some controversy.........
    Now I would like to move from 35mm to digital for my aviation photo hobby. I have looked at aviation search in this thread but have found that the kit listed is beyond my amateur budget, which is £300 to £500 not inc. memory card.
    I currently have a Nikon AF 35mm set-up which pushes me towards the new D50 so I can use my existing lenses, which I understand will be even longer, AWESOME! But it is at the top of my budget. Also will it capture the Tornado in the viewfinder as I see it or will I get the tail feathers disappearing out of shot due to "shutter-delay"?
    I'm also tempted by the Panasonic DMC-FZ range prob FZ20, which whilst being "point and shoot" seems to have a good Leica lens (12x optical) and is within budget, but the mags say dodgy autofocus which is a complete no-no, I need to get the plane in the viewfinder in focus and take the shot - you only get one chance!
    I am not skilled in the intricacies and jargon of the models available so straightforward replies would be much appreciated.
    I do hope that you can help with this enquiry. :lease:
    I realise that that you can always wait for the next best thing to come along at a lower price but know that if you follow that to it's conclusion you'd
    never buy anything!
    All the best to you all

DH Dove

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As you have some Nikon lenses, I think the D50 it has to be.

No shutter delay on DSLR's

Point and shoots won't really cut it for aviation photography, unless you get a really high end job, then its gonna be as expensive as the D50.

You want proof? Check my link below,

All 2004 'flying' pictures with Canon 300D and modest 75-300mm lens.

All 2005 'flying' pictures with Canon 300D and 100-400L Pro lens.

SOLD.... :D :D

:hiya:

A review...............

Overall conclusion
    Unlike Canon when they produced the EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) Nikon chose not to cripple their affordable digital SLR. Instead the D50 while lacking some of the D70's features doesn't compromise performance or photographic flexibility, most important for first time buyers who (surely) the manufacturers hope will progress to a more expensive D-SLR later.

The D50's sensor and image processing pipeline are clearly different to that of the D70/D70s, it exhibits fewer of the moire/maze artifacts but at the same time isn't quite as crisp as its 'elder siblings'. That said the D50 is more than capable of producing some fantastic results, and is tuned to deliver bright and colorful images from the first exposure. If this isn't to your taste you can of course configure the image processing to produce D70-like images.

We were probably the most surprised by the D50's noise levels, Nikon has clearly spent time since the creation of the D70 on design changes to keep noise down. The D50 has the lowest noise levels of any of the affordable digital SLR's we've tested (although they're all fairly clean, we're talking fractions here).

The nicest thing about the D50 however is that it just feels right, build wise it's a step above the Canon EOS 350D and Pentax *ist DS, it's also not too small, I'm all for making cameras lighter but there's a limit as to how small you can make an SLR before the hand grip feels cramped and controls begin to get in the way. The D50 feels as responsive as any film camera and is a pleasure to shoot with. The only change I would make would probably be a larger viewfinder view (like that of the Pentax *ist DS).

I'm quite happy to give the D50 our highest rating, Highly Recommended, there's little to dislike and for anyone looking for an affordable digital SLR it has to be seriously considered. My only advice would be to research lenses and decide if you want to go with the Kit or spend a little more on a slightly better lens.

Highly Recommended

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    :hiya:

Welcome to the dark side :)

You certainly picked the right place to ask that question ;)

4. DH Dove

DH Dove
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Johndm
    That pretty much confirms what I thought.
    Re "shutter delay", the Fuji digital that I bought last year for work seems to have a delay ie when you press the (shutter ?) button what you actually get is not what you saw but is an image taken a fraction later, not a problem when your subject is stationary, but an expensive waste of money when it's doing ......200 knots plus........I have read that this delay was a common problem with all "early" digital cameras and wondered whether it was sorted. Reviews in magazines dont seem to mention it but that doesn't mean it isn't there, experience has taught me to treat reviews with a pinch of salt!
    Is the single lens reflex design the reason that there is no delay?
    Regards
    DH Dove

5. DH Dove

DH Dove
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, are you a Mary Chapin-Carpenter fan? :clap:
    DH Dove

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    No, she's more your Country music in a typical American 'Nashville' sense to me. I'm much more a fan of the Irish and English based folk, though you may have heard of The Handsome Family, brilliant americana :)