Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Avia

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marc, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get Avia cheaply, as everywhere i've seen it it is about £35, and is it really worth getting if i already have the various audio/video tests that come on thx dvd's like T2 ultimate edition?

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    It is available in our very own 'POWER BUYS' forum for less than that :thumbsup:

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    imo it is def worth getting, especially if you have a projector.
    It does so much more than what is on the T2 disc.

4. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    get Avia its certainly worth having :thumbsup:

on that note....anyone.

I have this but my nephew destoyed the filters (my fault for leaving them around) i have the filters from DV essentials, which i picked up recently are they the same (i cant remember how dark/light my avia ones were) and can they be used with avia set up? as i have decorated and need to recalibrate my PJ.

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Just had a look and the filters from DVE & Avia, are both items look identical.

I do prefer the DVE version in it's own card sleeve, save you putting messy fingerprints over the filters like i've do with the Avia ones. :rolleyes:

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Been meaning to ask about avia for a while now, not sure which section to put it in - so if no one minds I'll just hijack this thread.....

If I understand correctly the filters and tests on avia are for NTSC and the DVE is for PAL ? So, if I put a R1 disk in my player, do the calibration tests and then save the settings on the projector in one of the customer slots, and then I put a R2 disk in and do the same, this time using the DVE disk and saving to another slot.

Then, depending if I watch a R1 or R2 I use either preset. The only thing I'm not sure about is the way my DVD player outputs the signal on the R1 disk. This may seem a daft question, but if I put a R1 NTSC disk in the player, does it do some sort of conversion to PAL and outputs a PAL signal to the projector, or does it output NTSC and the projector just detects and displays what ever is sent to it ? Does the projector detect an NTSC signal and convert it to PAL before playing it ? Or is it just a simple case of if you put in an R1 disk then your watching NTSC and if you put in an R2 your watching PAL.

Appologies if these seem dumb questions.

The player is a prog scan yammaha and pj is a sanyo Z1

Cheers

7. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Most projectors are capable of outputting a signal in the original format. ie a PAL disc projects at 50hz and 625 lines and NTSC 60hz and 525 lines