AVIA test DVD is it worth it??

kwack1969

Novice Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased Toshiba 32zd26P TV, Amp and surround speakers.

Have seen this advertised but am really trying to gauge peoples opinions on whether using one of these set up discs is worth the expense??

Opinions please

Kwack

Yes, they are worthwhile. You'll either prove that your system is set-up correctly (doubtful) or be able to tweak it to give it's best.

If you're concerned at the cost of Avia, maybe try Video Essentials which, for most users, is perfectly up to the job.

Either way, if you've spent a shedload of money on kit, why not another £20 or £30 to make sure you're getting the best out of it?
Most people would not think anything of spending that amount on SCART leads, interconnects etc. yet a set-up disc will probably give you more benefit.

Originally posted by kwack
Recently purchased Toshiba 32zd26P TV, Amp and surround speakers.

Have seen this advertised but am really trying to gauge peoples opinions on whether using one of these set up discs is worth the expense??

Opinions please

Kwack

I recently bought it.
Didn't really think it was worth the money.
I'd recommend setting your system up by:
Sound
get a sound meter & use your amp test tones to set all your speakers at equal levels .

Picture
Use one of THX test packages found on some DVDs (Moulin Rouge has one, so has T2).

Good luck

Originally posted by sceptic
Use one of THX test packages found on some DVDs (Moulin Rouge has one, so has T2).

Fair point Sceptic... for most users these set-up routines are more than good enough, although they are supposedly optimsed for the actual disc they're contained on (hmm, they all seem pretty much the same to me!).

As if you need another excuse, Monsters Inc. comes with the THX set-up too.

Avia's region free right?

But it's designed for use with NTSC displays.... is there any point using it to calibrate the video settings of a PAL TV?

This is the problem I have. I think Their website FAQ says that they have no PAL version available. I used Video Essentials to set the brightness and contrast correctly on my Toshiba 42" Plasma. But I still need to find a test pattern to configure my PAL setup. Any suggestions anyone?

The THX optimode that is on Monsters Inc is excellent. Far better than the previous optimodes that I've seen.

Originally posted by James45
Avia's region free right?

But it's designed for use with NTSC displays.... is there any point using it to calibrate the video settings of a PAL TV?

Avia is region free.

As I watch 99% R1 DVDs, it sets up my viewing chain pretty much ideally. I use the same settings for watching Sky via RGB and it looks better than before I'd used it.

For non-RGB sources (VCR mainly) I find reducing the colour saturation by 4 'notches' gives a similarly good picture.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
The THX optimode that is on Monsters Inc is excellent. Far better than the previous optimodes that I've seen.

How is it any different? I used it, then tried the TPM one, then the Terminator 2 one and the settings worked out identical.

Originally posted by juboy
How is it any different? I used it, then tried the TPM one, then the Terminator 2 one and the settings worked out identical.
Well, I don't know when they revised it, but this one has the multiple white squares for adjusting contrast etc. It also now has a test for sharpness. The previous ones that I'd seen were very simplistic (I can't remember what the T2 one was like and don't have TPM).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom