1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avia setup for my Z3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevesparks, Jan 14, 2005.

1. stevesparks

stevesparks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the world of PJs and having read lots of threads on this forum decided to go with a Z3 which I bought just before Christmas.

Thanks to everyone for posting really useful info on here which helped me make a decision.

Anyway, yesterday I took delivery of my new Z3 cause I to fell foul of the locking up when using HDMI. THis one has the new firmware (I've checked it's 1.01) so should be ok.

My question arises because now I have my new PJ I wanted to get the best out of it using Avia. I tried yesterday evening to set the White and Black levels but I can't see the "bars" on the test patterns no matter what level of black or white I choose.

I have read on some other threads people having similar problems and suggestions of reducing Iris and Gamma to get the bars to show. No matter what I have tried so far it doesn't have any effect.

I'm using Power DVD 5 through my HTPC at the moment and wondered whether this was the source of my problem. I've been considering getting TT but didn't know if it was really worth it ?

Any suggestions/help greatly received.

Steve

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    There is a very useful thread on this by ROne on this forum (try a search)

I am guessing that you are using HDMI input with HDMI set to L1 on the Z3. If so, you need to up the gamma setting on your PC. I have an ATI graphics card with the 4.12 drivers and I set gamma in the overlay from 1 to 1.45. Note you can only adjust the gamma in overlay in the ATI's control pannel when you have PowerDVD running. Then try your AVIA disk to adjust brightness/contrast

BTW welcome to the forum

HTH

Conor

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does setting the gamma to 1.45 do?

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Using L1 on HDMI crushes blacks, but L2 gives pretty poor contrast. The key to achieving good contrast on HDMI seems to be to use L1 but up the gamma in overlay on the PC. In Theatertek 2 ROne's thread, (try a search) suggests that the magic number for gamma is 75, I agree. I have found that 75 in TT equates to 1.45 in the ATI control panel.