1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVIA set up disc

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MikeD, Jul 5, 2001.

1. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there, can anyone tell me if the AVIA set up disc (or any other for that matter) works in a DVD player as well as in the DVD drive in a HCPC. Also is there an AVIA disc available specifically for PAL yet?

Many thanks MikeD

2. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

I have the AVIA test disc and it works fine in my Pioneer 737 player.

Multiregion of course!

(Should have said.. Its region 1, I dont know if there is a region 2 version)

Mark.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: MarkT ]

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Pretty sure AVIA and VE are both region0 discs. They are NTSC though.

Video Eseentials, AVIA, Widescreen Review are all working on new super nutter test discs. I suspect these will have PAL patterns as well as the rest.....

Gordon

4. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... I've dug my disc out, and there doesnt appear to be a region label anywhere on it...

So I'm changing my mind and going with Gordon..

I bought it online from somewhere in deepest darkest USA... so foolishly assumed it was Region 1...

I'll try and zap it my laptop later to confirm though...

Mark.

5. compusolve

compusolve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if im wrong for some of the test cant you change the IRE setting in the settings on the Pioneer 737 to 7.5IRE for Pal and 0 IRE for NTSC,

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    VE is definatley region 0, I don't have a multi-region player.

Does anyone know how close the picture using an NTSC setup is to being correct to PAL ? The only thing that I've found that could be a problem is that the black signal (can't remember the proper term) is different on NTSC so you may need to turn the brightness down between PAL and NTSC.

7. OldEngland

OldEngland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought....

...are the any web sites that include AVIA type test images that can be used via a PC to calibrate a projecter?

Or are their sound technical reasons why this is not possible.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130

Nope not really you could construct your own test patterns in something like photoshop or after fx ( or any graphics package for that matter as long as you did it by the numbers ie 100% white 0%white. You can do a direct mapping between colour values and IRE level if you stay consistent with relevance to your bit-depth. However if you intend to use an HTPC and playback dvd from the dvd-rom drive it would be best to cal the full image path ie: get some patterns on a dvd rather than generate them from software.

Incidentally I did just this a couple of weeks ago. The broadcast engineer at work was on holiday and another compositor wanted his broadcast monitor accurately caled for 6500K in an emergency. Being the only person around who knew how to do this I volunteered; found the relevant controls on the monitor service menu and reset our colour analyser for the right parameters (normally we do 5400K for film work. couldn't find the pattern generator so I just created some relevant patterns in software and sent them to display. So in effect turned a 600grande Inferno compositing system into a pattern generator!

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Old England

The Avia and VE setup disks are designed to calibrate the whole system and there is nothing to beat them. a PAL disk will help and maybe we can get the transferhouses to get their act together and set their PAL equipment up properly.

You could try Displaymate

They provide the test paterns for all the projector shootout demonstrations around the world and have some usefull down load stuff for setting up your display. The have some particularly nasty test screens for LCD and CRT projectors.

B4