1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avia overrated?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Dec 30, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Or maybe i'm in need of a decent user manual.

The video section didn't seem much better than THX optimode - a black level setting and a white level setting, then some colour blocks. There were lots of other patterns, but I don't know what they are useful for. I have an LCD projector, so is Avia too much for non-CRT users?

2. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard - I'm not using Avia, Video Essentials etc. either for my wxga LCD projector. Here in Denmark Avia costs approx. £45 which IMHO is outragerous! You are only going to use this disc whenever you move/change the setup or something like it...

I'm using my best DVD transfers instead to adjust the settings to my taste. Among the movies I used to calibrate my projector are:

LOTR
    Star Wars II
    Fifth Element
    Resident Evil
    Moulin Rouge
    Toy Story 2
    Gladiator
    Mulholland Drive

Enjoy! :D

- Thomas

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Perhaps it might be worth a sticky thread for people to post their test scenes from popular DVDs and describe the procedure they are going through for that scene to aid calibration.

Allan

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I consider AVIA essential, even on the limited patterns. I wish i knew how to use the other ones as well.

ad

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    THX Optimodes are DVD specific and should not be used to calibrate in general terms. Also, they do not include essential test patterns for overscan percentage rates etc. Avia's test patterns are shown in varying IRE intensities which is helpful in pinpointing geometry discrepencies in light/dark scenes and achieving a comprimise in these areas. Crosshatch patterns are shown in a range of aspect ratio's include 16:9 Anamorphic.

Sound calibration is also much more advanced with specific emphasis on subwoofer calibration and frequency sweeps with on-screen displays of the frequency countdown. This helps identify peaks and troughs at specific Hz ratings on an SPL meter.

There is no contest, AVIA and others are a million times more useful than THX Optimode.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    groundy, but aren't most of the video settings of most use to CRT owners? If you have an LCD or other panel based display, are geometry tests of value?

As for the dedicated subwoofer tests, the sweep is too fast for me to accurately measure my SPL at different frequencies. There are a couple of big peaks and a dip in there, but I don't know where, and how big. I'm following an alternative thread with test tones to do this. Avia only seems able to tell me I have a problem, but not be able to give enough information to solve it.

I'm only really playing devil's advocate as I'm no professional, but I'd like to know how to get the most from it.

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    AVIA is a very powerful tool if used correctly.

Beyond the basics of contrast, brightness, colour and Hue there is a whole range of extra test patterns to check all manner of things - Pixel Cropping, Colour Decoder check, Y/C delay, Sharpness, Resolution, Hot Spot/Uniformity...and on and on and on.

In addition each test pattern is described in detail - (you need to click on the "?" sysmbol) - something that Video Essentials is sorely lacking.

V.E. may have some test patterns sourced from respected industry leaders Snell & Wilcox and a very useful montage sequence, but the additional bonus's of easier navigation and video test patterns in all the common aspect ratios makes AVIA my disc of choice.

I have both discs, but AVIA is the first one I pick up when doing any set-up or evaluation work.

Regards