1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avia is Great what about PAL

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DynamoDoug, Aug 22, 2002.

1. DynamoDoug

DynamoDoug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Iridium LM95 PJ for over a month now.

It's a rebadged Lumens LM95 with a 4:3 XGA screen and 2000 lumens out and 400:1 contrast ratio this is feed by a HTPC.

Over this period I've been constantly tweaking the controls trying to get the best picture quality.

Finally, I dug down deep and ordered Avia from DVDBox Office. Using the supplied test patterns, it took me just over an hour to get life like picture quality.

I'll be recalibrating again when a grey filter arrives as the 2000L is too bright for the average living room.

I recollect seeing that the Gama is different for PAL. If so, is there a PAL test DVD.

thanks
    Doug

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    Gamma won't be an issue ( it might be interesting to stick the Avia gamma patch through and see how accurate or not your projector is in the first place though).

Black level can vary between PAL and NTSC (or 625/50 and 525/50 to be accurate in the case of dvd)

The black level set-up is a function of the player not the software . if you are using component tcorrect set-up in either case is correct for 0IRE . If you are using a composite type connection the black level may set-up for NTSC at 7.5 IRE (sometimes you can specify on the player to use the 0IRE set-up regardless).

Anywya the point is its normally more of an issue as to how your system/display handles formats rather than the set-up aims being different. Black point whitepoint colour and gamma should be pretty much valid for 625/50 as well as 525/60 with recognition of the potential black level set-up difference ( if you generate PAL60 for composite or s-video it should set-up for 0 anyway: just never use an NTSC signal there isn't much point as RGB , component and PAL all set up at 0IRE regardless: if you must use a composite type signal PAL/PAL60 offer advantages over NTSC anyway).

You are using an HTPC ; its even less of an issue , in fact I'd say it isn't one.